LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are bundle and unbundle expensive operations

Solved!
Go to solution

Are bundle, unbundle, bundle by name, unbundle by name expensive operations if used in a loop. I am using a bundle to pass/obtain data to a subvi. So I need to unbundle the wire pass them to a subvi and then bundle the wires that come out of the subvi and feed that into a shift register. I cannot do the bundling and unbundling outside because of the shift register which I need.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,662 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sharmaa

sharmaa wrote:

Are bundle, unbundle, bundle by name, unbundle by name expensive operations if used in a loop. I am using a bundle to pass/obtain data to a subvi. So I need to unbundle the wire pass them to a subvi and then bundle the wires that come out of the subvi and feed that into a shift register. I cannot do the bundling and unbundling outside because of the shift register which I need.

Thanks.

Not necessarily. It depends on what you do with what you are bundling and unbundling.

I think the best resource I can offer is this thread where Dr. ONeill and I investigate that very question over a series of days.

Warning:

That thread is NOT lite reading. Take it bit by bit and take frequent breaks to avoid cerebral overload.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 3
(2,657 Views)

Well, it is more expensive than NOT doing it. But let me say this: using clusters to pass ALL of the data around in state machines and two/from VI's is extremely common and often recommended. I carry around arrays or references in clusters, channel setups, tasks, error texts, and so on, in loops that run at 5mS for 24/7 and have never experienced a problem associated with my use of clusters.

My thought is, compared to the alternative of having two dozen shift registers with single items in them or one S/R with a cluster - you might have to be on a real Time target to see a performance hit.

Super-Clusters might be another story.

Richard

Message 3 of 3
(2,654 Views)