LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Architecture Part 2

After many attempts to find a suitable method for achieving communication between a host and an embeded application. I have finally settled on a two phase approach. The application achitecture has 2 queue driven state machines ; one residing on both the host and the RT . The GUI and Application logic are seperated seperated into the same two state machines. I am making Datasocket based FP reads to update the GUI "On UpDate" to minimize network activity . I do native FP reads in the RT loop along with RT FIFO's to access FP info and conduct non time critical messages into the real time loop. And finally I am using a Queued TCP connection to pass machine status information to the GUI and return instructions from the GUI. This approach is th
e result of many NI Pros.. Aaron Included , as well as many select integrators ...I am interested in any comments regarding this approach,.

Thx Rob Shock
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,498 Views)
Hello Rob,

I see no problem with this approach. It sounds good, with perhaps one suggestion. As you may be aware, the FP-2000 can be used as an FP-1600 as well, and therefore there is no need to use the Datasocket-based FP reads from the host. You can just treat it as a 1600 and use the regular FieldPoint Read VIs on the host to access same I/O points your RT code is accessing. This might improve performance on the host somewhat, particularly if you are doing a lot of reads on the host.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,498 Views)
Good point Jeff.

If the measurements on the host do not have to be periodic, this is a good approach to get a recent reading over to the PC.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,498 Views)