LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arbitrary serial baud rate setting

Hello,

How can I set arbitrary serial baud rate in Labview. MAX configuration provides only standard baud rate. For example, I want to set 125.000 bps.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,992 Views)

Hi,

With the serial configuration VI you can set any baudrate you want BUT your hardware must support non-standard baudrate values.

A standard COM port does not support non-standard values.

What are you using for this port ?

Kees

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,984 Views)

Hello K C

I'm using BAFO USB to serial converter. I can't find any information whether it supports arbitrary baud rate. Do have exp with that? I use serial to communicate with microcontroller. The problem is that I can't arbitrary set my uC baud rate. For example, the value is 125000 bps, 250000, 600000 and so on.

So I expect to set the Labview serial.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,964 Views)

It's simple to find out if the adapter supports arbitrary rates. Try to set a non-standard rate and see if you get an error. Very few adapters support this so I would be very surprised if yours did.

If you really need arbitrary rates, NI sells a PCI card for this. Since you can't set the uC to an arbitrary rate, why are you asking about it?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,959 Views)

Thanks for your response Dennis.

MAX configuration only provides standard baud-rate from the drop-down list. Would you tell me how to set any value?

Because I can't set any value to the uC (only 125000, 250000, so on), that's why Labview should adapt to my uC. That is I want to set Labview baud rate to 125000.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,952 Views)

Why would the microcontroller not have a more normal baudrate?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,947 Views)

@yoppy wrote:

Thanks for your response Dennis.

MAX configuration only provides standard baud-rate from the drop-down list. Would you tell me how to set any value?

Because I can't set any value to the uC (only 125000, 250000, so on), that's why Labview should adapt to my uC. That is I want to set Labview baud rate to 125000.

Thank you

You can set any baud rate you want in LabVIEW. MAX will only show what the hardware actually supports so you have your answer about the converter. LabVIEW is not hardware so saying LabVIEW should adapt to the uC is silly.

And I agree about the question about the uC. I would think you had to go out of your way to find one without standard baud rates. I don't think you have an RS-232 connection. Is it maybe SPI/I2C and you think this serial interface is RS-232?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,942 Views)

I really appreciate your response. I'm using UART from uC. Actually, I can set standard baud rate but in slower spedd. For higher speed, that is what I describe above. Anyway, thank's to you all.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,932 Views)