LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Directory VI is missing

Hi all,

I can't seem to find the Application Directory VI in LabVIEW 2017. It's not there under the "File constants" directory. All the other vi's/functions are there. Any explanation or help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,508 Views)

I don't have 2017 installed but it's definitely there in my installs of 2015 and 2018.

You could try going to where it's stored on disk and adding it back to the palette:

<vi.lib>\Utility\file.llb\Application Directory.vi

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,499 Views)

Ha, ha, the joke's on me.  I opened up LabVIEW 2017, and made the following simple VI:

Application DirectoryApplication Directory

(The Application Directory function on the left was from the File Constants sub-Palette on the File I/O Palette, right where it was supposed to be).  Guess what I got when I ran this?  <Not a Path>!  Oops!  From the Help, 

"If the project is not saved, this VI returns <Not a Path>."  So I saved it, and it returned the Folder in which it was saved (whew!).

If it is still failing for you, attach your VI and let us see if the problem is at your end (bad installation?  bad code? bad luck?) or something else.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,460 Views)

Hi Bob,

My problem is that the VI isn't available under File Constants. Please see my picture below. It has nothing to do with my VI, because I can open any VI (saved or not saved) and it won't be on the palette. It just doesn't seem to exist on my palette for some reason?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,448 Views)

Try repairing you LabVIEW installation.  It must have been corrupted somehow.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,444 Views)

Do you open that palette on an VI from an RT-target?

"Application directory" does not exist in this palette.

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
Message 6 of 8
(3,439 Views)

Hi Jens,

That's exactly what I was doing. I didn't realize that wasn't possible! Thanks for letting me know. But if I want to create a csv file to read and write data to, is that possible to do on the RT Target? I'm using a PXI.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,429 Views)

You will want to use absolute paths on RT.  For instance, you could save your data to /home/lvuser/test.txt (NI Linux RT) or c:\test.txt (VxWorks).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,419 Views)