cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Builder-built Installer Hangs

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have developed a LabVIEW (8.5) application which gets deployed on our customers' PC by running the installer (setup.exe), which is built with the Application Builder of the Professional version of LabVIEW. We have thousands of deployments on Windows XP through Windows 10 with no problems. Recently we have had 2 customers get the following problem on their Windows 10 PCs: The installer hangs during the installation with the green progress bar at about 5%, and the installation dialog says "Currently installing NI Uninstaller. Part 1 of 24."

One customer reported that the Cancel button did not work and he had to kill the process with Task Manager (after waiting several minutes, of couse).

Has anyone else seen this? Thank you very much for any suggestions or advice you might have to resolve this issue.

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,533 Views)

Labview 8.5 is not even listed on compatibility charts any longer.  There is probably not much that can be done except update your Labview installation or stick to installation on WinXP era systems. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,526 Views)

Thanks for your reply, but it is not helpful at all. So what if my version is 10 years old? Of course NI doesn't list it in their compatibility chart (I know this) because this version was out long before Windows 10 existed. However, I have not found any programs (only drivers) that do not work on Windows 10. It is a very stable OS. Please note that we have hundreds of deployments/installations on Windows 10 computers. I'm just asking if anyone has seen this error. If you haven't, then there is no need to reply.

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,522 Views)

My reply didn't come with a guarantee that it would be helpful.  Smiley Wink  

Can you install your application without the custom built installer?  

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,510 Views)

Don't get me wrong -- I do appreciate your attempt to help! Smiley Happy

LabVIEW exe's need to be installed (the exe, my support files and folders, and critically all of the run-time dll's and other components, etc.) by an installer. The only way I know of to deploy a LabVIEW application is using the Application Builder. Is there another way such as using InstallShield or some such program?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,494 Views)

I don't use an installer for mine but I don't know the complexity of your applications.  My DLLs reside in the data folder next to the EXE.  I can basically just copy everything from the build directory over to the computer.  Install the runtime and DAQmx software manually and run the EXE.  I am not distributing applications to customers but rather installing them on my company's computers.  

aputman
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,491 Views)

Your way is not an acceptable method of installing software on a customer's machine. That's why installers exist. DLLs have to be "registered" so the software knows where to look for them. I suppose the first place it looks is in the installation directory if it can't find it in the registry, but I don't know how it finds lvrt.dll in a subfolder (your "data" folder). My application also needs the VisaCtrl.dll.

I just looked on my laptop where I have deployed my application. The laptop does not have the LabVIEW development environment (IDE) on it, just the run-time. The C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments folder, created by the Application Builder installer, is 158 MB in size and contains 353 files and 83 folders. Those are installed by the installer, in addition to my program files and my support files and folders. There are 28 dlls including lvrt.dll in the Shared\LabVIEW Run-Time\8.5 sub-folder. VisaCtrl.dll is in a different folder.

So again, I appreciate your reply, but if you don't know anything about installers, you probably should not have weighed in. Cheers!

I told my customer to try several things, including making sure he has Administrator priviliges. I also emailed a NI tech support contact, and am awaiting a reply.

When (if, being pessimistic) I get this resolved, I'll post the solution. Surely there must be one!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,486 Views)

I didn't say that I don't know anything about installers but you assume that I don't.  You also assume that an 8.5 application is going to always run on Window 10.  I think you should probably stop making assumptions. 

I said that they aren't needed for my applications, despite the fact that I use DLLs as well.  You had not given any information about your installation except that it was built in 8.5.  So I offered a suggestion.  Why do you insist on telling me not to reply?  This is a discussion forum.  Discussions lead to answers.

Good luck.

aputman
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,481 Views)

Yes, it's usually not a good idea to ASS-U-ME.

In this case, when my 2007 program installs and runs on every OS since Windows 2000 (yes, back then it did support Windows 2000, but currently I set the minimum supported OS in the installer to be XP), including, as I said in my OP, Windows 10 on hundreds of installations, it's pretty safe to assume that it "works" on Windows 10.

I'm sure there's an explanation for why there's an issue now on 2 computers.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,475 Views)

Obviously I wasn't saying to copy over your NI folder to your customer's computer.  And to even suggest that is asinine.  If you read my reply carefully, I suggested to "Install the runtime and DAQmx software manually", one-by-one, not from a bundled installer.  Maybe there is something about your Application Builder installer that is causing the problems....not necessarily the NI installers. Can your customer install Visa and Labview Runtime but the DAQmx installer is failing?  If it's one particular NI installer that won't install, can you go back a minor version or two and find one that does install? 

aputman
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,460 Views)