From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Append text to end of file

Hello,

how can I append text to the end of a file?
I open the file using the operation "open or create". Then the existing text is overwritten with the new text.
I want to add the new text to the end of the file. How can I do this?

Kind regards,

Gerald

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(63,609 Views)
Connect file size terminal in open/create/Replace vi to Pos offset terminal of write file.

See attachement

-Kumar B
Message 2 of 16
(63,599 Views)
The way to do this is explained in the context help of Write to Text File or Write to Binary File.

You must set the cursor position to the end of the file by using Set File Position. Insert this function between Open/Create/Replace File and Write to Text File or
Write to Binary File and set its offset input to 0 and its from (0:start) input to end.

See attached example.
Download All
Message 3 of 16
(63,597 Views)
Hello,

using the open/create, you've to give the position of the end of file to the .vi that's going to write text. See the the attached file for the example that I've made for you. It was written in Labview 8.2.1. But if you can't open it, you can always see the attached pic.

Other way, it's by "write to spreadsheet file". this vi has the option "append".

The names in quotes are not exactly has they are in labview. But I can confirm them in the moment
Software developer
www.mcm-electronics.com

PORTUGAL
Download All
Message 4 of 16
(63,594 Views)

Hello,

I have the same question. Only I have like 10 excel files and I need all the data in one file (in the same order as th files are). Can you please let me know how i can input multiple files and append them into one single file.

Thanks

laxmikanth

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(63,440 Views)

These are all very good answers.

The thing I don't understand is why NI would take out the append to file option from the Write To Text File function in the first place.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(58,222 Views)

Why do you say NI took out the append to file option?

Maybe it was never there to begin with.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(58,212 Views)

@CTLin wrote:

The thing I don't understand is why NI would take out the append to file option from the Write To Text File function in the first place.

The Write to Text File function was not introduced until LabVIEW 8, and it never had an "append" input. You're probably thinking of the Write Characters to File that existed back in LabVIEW 7 and prior.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(58,208 Views)

@smercurio_fc wrote:

@CTLin wrote:

The Write to Text File function was not introduced until LabVIEW 8, and it never had an "append" input. You're probably thinking of the Write Characters to File that existed back in LabVIEW 7 and prior.

There is also an append option on the "Write to Spreadsheet File" VI.

Cory K
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(58,205 Views)

Yes, we had Write Characters To File before which has append option. The Write To Text File seems to replace that except the easy append option is not there. NI should simply add that.

CT

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(58,193 Views)