LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appearance of typedef'd controls in different vi's

Hi everyone,

I'm using a typedef (non-strict) to keep my data types across different vi's up to date. It contains a cluster which, among some other types, contains a typedef'd (non-strict) enum.

For my user interface I wanted to change the appearance from the default 'modern' to 'silver' style. So I marked the individual controls and tried replacing them. It doesn't work with the enum control.

If I keep the enum in the cluster, the size changes a bit but it keeps the 'modern' style.

If I place the enum outside of the cluster, it changes to 'silver' but removes the connection to the typedef.

(I also can't replace the cluster without it deleting its content...)

I can't figure out how to change just the appearance. Any suggestions?

Maybe it's a problem with the typedef inside a typedef?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,725 Views)

Hi pktl,

set the (cluster) typedef to strict to enforce look in all instances. Save the typedef, then save all VIs with instances of that typedef.

Then set the typedef back to non-strict, save it, save all VIs…

Background: only strict typedefs also enforce the same look in all instances!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 6
(3,722 Views)

I'm aware of the difference between strict and non-strict typedefs. However, that's not what I meant.

I want a non-strict typedef that I can drop on a certain vi and customize just the appearance to fit the style of this specific vi.

I.e. in one application I'd like a 'modern' style UI, in another I'd like a 'silver' style, but the underlying typedef shall remain the same.

Edit: Re-reading your reply, I understand now how that could work...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,715 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi pktl,

set the (cluster) typedef to strict to enforce look in all instances. Save the typedef, then save all VIs with instances of that typedef.

Then set the typedef back to non-strict, save it, save all VIs…

Background: only strict typedefs also enforce the same look in all instances!

Good gosh, I thought I was the only one who did it that way.  😄

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,666 Views)

It seems a bit tedious Smiley Wink

Something like an inherited typedef control would be nice. Just keep the data types and customize the appearance... which would be a non-strict typedef again... but with the ability to customize per vi. Or something like that. I'm confused.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,659 Views)

@billko wrote:

Good gosh, I thought I was the only one who did it that way.  😄

I haven't done it often, but yup I do that sometimes too.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,636 Views)