From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antenna Radiation Pattern in 3D

I forgot to mention that I am collecting the raw data from my HP8510. I sweep the antenna in the Az direction and for each phi angle I same that sweep into a data file. joe

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 34
(3,495 Views)

To nolsqn,

Sorry for the late reply from my side also.

I appriciate your work.. But again it is not what I want..

I tried it many times, I have no solutions yet Smiley Sad

Please..  Someone Help me.. Smiley Embarassed

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 34
(3,468 Views)

Hello Guys..

Again I have the same problem..

There must be a way that we can convert a 2D graph to 3D.

Let us assume the 2D Pattern is same throughout the sphare area.

So, how can one convert or arrange these 2D data to have a 3D plot.

Please guys, give some suggestions.

I am attaching the vi here.

Message 13 of 34
(3,408 Views)

@Nayan wrote:

Hello Guys..

Again I have the same problem..

There must be a way that we can convert a 2D graph to 3D.

Let us assume the 2D Pattern is same throughout the sphare area.

So, how can one convert or arrange these 2D data to have a 3D plot.

Please guys, give some suggestions.

I am attaching the vi here.

And again you don't have the required data to make a 3D plot.

I noticed you said you weren't averse to fudging data and faking the third axis.  Then it's easy.  Make up some numbers and plug them in.  Then let me know what company you are working for so I can apply for a soon open position.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 34
(3,387 Views)

@billko wrote:

Yep, no cheating.  What you are doing is like taking a slice of earth at the equator and saying that the rest of the earth is exactly the same.

nice analogy

http://www.asu.cas.cz/~bezdek/vyzkum/rotating_3d_globe/

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 34
(3,372 Views)

Bill wrote:

I noticed you said you weren't averse to fudging data and faking the third axis.  Then it's easy.  Make up some numbers and plug them in.  Then let me know what company you are working for so I can apply for a soon open position

Brother,

First of all, I am a student, not an employee of any company.

And I know, that's not a correct way to go for, and I dont have the required data either.

But I want that plot to be in 3D.

We can make a fake data, but what I am asking is in which manner the data shoulb be??

I dont have any idea so that to convert the 2D plot into 3D.

I have the Angle and Magnitude values. If we rotate the polar plot in 360 degree, wouldn't it be a 3D model???

How can I arrange the data to have the 3D plot ?

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 34
(3,352 Views)

@Nayan wrote:

@Bill wrote:

I noticed you said you weren't averse to fudging data and faking the third axis.  Then it's easy.  Make up some numbers and plug them in.  Then let me know what company you are working for so I can apply for a soon open position

Brother,

First of all, I am a student, not an employee of any company.

And I know, that's not a correct way to go for, and I dont have the required data either.

But I want that plot to be in 3D.

We can make a fake data, but what I am asking is in which manner the data shoulb be??

I dont have any idea so that to convert the 2D plot into 3D.

I have the Angle and Magnitude values. If we rotate the polar plot in 360 degree, wouldn't it be a 3D model???

How can I arrange the data to have the 3D plot ?

Six moths is extremely long for a student project about making a 3D plot.  And if this is as far as you got in six months, well.... yikes.  I had figured it was a project at work that was put aside because other projects became more urgent and now you have to time to work on this one again.  I don't think you can infer the third dimension.  Applied to my "globe" example, infering the third dimension results in a cylinder and not a sphere.  Without actual data for the third dimension you can only make a guess like what you had with your very first attempt.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 34
(3,323 Views)

In contrast to what Bill posted: If you have decided that a rotation is the method you want to use, then you can create a 3D view of your data. If your 2D data is within a circle, the 3D data will be within a sphere. Rectangular 2D data will rotate into a cylinder. These assume you rotate through the center. If you rotate around an edge or some other axis, other shapes will occur.

You could also use a translation to create a cylinder from a circle or a cube from a square. Many other mappings are possible.

The important things to remember are:

1. You have not created any new data. Only the 2D data represent your measurements.

2. The process by which you "extend" the data into the third dimension must be clearly documented. 

3. You have not created any new data. Only the 2D data represent your measurements.

Lynn

Message 18 of 34
(3,314 Views)

Hi Nayan,

As per antenna pattern, every point has its elevation, azimuth and distance representing the weight of signal at that point. The need is just to change your coordinate system. Change your coordinate system from Cartesian to spherical, which is quite easy, and represent your signal in 3D in labview. Plot graph in CONTROLS->MODERN->GRAPH->3D GRAPH->PARAMETRIC GRAPH. Use 1d array of all (ezimuth, elevation, distance), convert them to matrices and connect them to graph.

Regards, DCKAN

Best Regards,
DCKAN

"We make a Living by what we get. We make a Life by what we give."
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 34
(3,295 Views)

Hi Nayan,

As per antenna pattern, every point has its elevation, azimuth and distance representing the weight of signal at that point. The need is just to change your coordinate system. Change your coordinate system from Cartesian to spherical, which is quite easy, and represent your signal in 3D in labview. Plot graph in CONTROLS->MODERN->GRAPH->3D GRAPH->PARAMETRIC GRAPH. Use 1d array of all (ezimuth, elevation, distance), convert them to matrices and connect them to graph.

Regards, DCKAN

Best Regards,
DCKAN

"We make a Living by what we get. We make a Life by what we give."
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 34
(3,295 Views)