LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Announcing the LabVIEW 2010 Platform beta

I'd have to find the extra long discussion we had on that topic about a year ago when the beta was announced for LV2009.  The same topic came up.  What you are saying makes sense.  I'll do a search during my next break and post the link.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 51
(3,441 Views)

nitad54448 wrote:

Hi

Let me give my 2cents.

I have a different question but somehow related to the upgrades :

-when getting a version which has a bug (like the 3D graph in LV 8.6, for instance) I would expect that NI releases a patch to correct for the bug. Instead, NI releases a new version which one needs to pay for.

I wonder if this is fair....

I already asked this but no blue-member answered my question... So yes, I also feel that every year a release is a bit too much, unless patches for the previous version are released to correct for the bugs.

N

Bug fixes are free and are released for the previous version. A bug fix release has been promised about 6 months after the new version.

As long as you keep up with your software support contract, the cost of the new release is pretty minor. Take it from someone who knows, failure to keep the software support up to date will cost you dearly in the long run.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 51
(3,433 Views)

Argh, need a longer time to edit a post.

What I also wanted to say is that since we pay the same amount for software support year by year, I would really like to see a new version each year instead of just bug fixes. Often, the bugs don't affect what I'm doing and it's nice to know the money spent is for something substantial.

Message 13 of 51
(3,415 Views)

Hi

Bug fixes : that's what I want... can you showme where is a bug fix for 8.6 ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 51
(3,359 Views)

During your SSP period for LabVIEW 8.6 you should have received every 3 months a package with CDs, these included LabVIEW8.6.1. If you don't have it anymore I recommend to contact your Sales Representative.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 51
(3,357 Views)

Hi

Thanks for answering.. I had SSP for 8.5 then got the 8.6. But I am not sure I can patch 8.6 to 8.6.1, I will find out. Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 51
(3,348 Views)

Hello,

Even Microsoft found it necessary to slow down its release rate (of new features) after Vista, and released the (largest ?)  bug fix yet: Windows 7: And yes, it is much better!

I have stated my opinion on this upgrade race issue before here: 

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&thread.id=276116

and today frustrations reached a peak when I was looking for bug fixes to LV 2009:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=474683&jump=true#M474683

NI: We are trying to develop software for Clients waiting for products: Products that we are expected to deliver faster because we are using a high productivity tool !

And yes, LV is  productive when it works. However, as have been stated here by many other posters, it takes time to get used to a new products: Its features and weaknesses: There is NO WAY we can keep up with yearly releases with New Featrues and New Bugs.

I am in the situation where I develop Control Systems for the Industry:

http://objective.no/labview_process_control.htm

We develop Control Systems that replace  PLC systems! But I can only compete if LV RT is stable and predictable from release to release: And it is NOT:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&thread.id=275320

When I this year decided to upgrade from LV 8.2 for a Control System that needed changes, because prodution location changed, I used a lot of time testing that LV RT 2009 was stable: No memory leaks, and performace wise.

There is no way I can do this every year: Then the PLC guys will beat me to it timewise and costwise.

Does NI care about any of this?

Geir Ove
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 51
(3,303 Views)

Coq Rouge wrote:
Sorry if I am blunt, but will not Labview 2010 version just be a bug fixed 2009 version more or less. I can not see why it is so important to push out a new version every year. Would it not be better to release an new version in say 2011. That would have made it more interesting for beta testers. I still use Labview but I must say I do not like the direction Labview has taken since 7.x. It much like in Dilbert then marketing and management get their hands on a nice engineered product. And make a mess of it. Labview is of course not there yet. But I can see some warning sign.  

Its called marketting.  And yes, it doesn't make much sense to me either.  Seems like NI is jumping on the "Year as version" bandwagon just as other companies are jumping off (Windows 7 instead of Windows 2009 for example).

I don't really think it matters what you call it.  If NI claims that 2010 is more than just "bug fixes" then that seems like justification enough for me to call it a new release.  v8 was around for years before we got LV 2009, however 8.2, 8.5, and 8.6 all had new features added.

I'll keep my programs with the traditional x.y.z versioning.

Message Edited by Nickerbocker on 02-16-2010 04:31 PM
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 51
(3,098 Views)

nitad54448 wrote:

Hi

Bug fixes : that's what I want... can you showme where is a bug fix for 8.6 ?

Thanks

I can show the procedure.

1) find bug in 8.6

2) determine the bug's gender

3) spay or neuter as appropriate

The bug is fixed

I Can't belive I did that without a CARSmiley Sad

Message Edited by Jeff Bohrer on 02-16-2010 09:10 PM

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 19 of 51
(3,073 Views)

Dennis Knutson wrote:

Argh, need a longer time to edit a post.

What I also wanted to say is that since we pay the same amount for software support year by year, I would really like to see a new version each year instead of just bug fixes. Often, the bugs don't affect what I'm doing and it's nice to know the money spent is for something substantial.

I'm in the same position.  The past couple of years of new features have made it very easy for me to justify the SSP costs to my company.

People that need to ensure stability of the product they are using, well, NI isn't forcing you to upgrade to a version with unknown stability.  That is entirely up to you.  It may make complete sense to stay on 8.6 for a few more years rather than upgrade for your project.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 51
(3,009 Views)