LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Announcing the LabVIEW 2010 Platform beta

Greetings,

You are invited to register for participation in the LabVIEW 2010 Platform beta program.  

You can register by visiting http://www.ni.com/beta and selecting "LabVIEW 2010 Platform" from the list of beta programs.  Please complete the profile questions that will help us understand your experience and use cases with LabVIEW.  Make sure you agree to the T&C of the beta program so that you can be approved.

After you register, please be patient for the beta coordinators to process your application.  You will be notified when you have been approved. Registration does not necessarily guarantee you a position in the beta program. Determination of acceptance into the program is up to the sole discretion of National Instruments.

We will have a private section of the Discussion Forums on NI Developer's Exchange set up for beta users to discuss the beta version of the LabVIEW 2010 Platform.

What software is planned to be available?  Note: not all software will be available during the first beta period.

LabVIEW (32-bit)

Windows / Mac / Linux

LabVIEW (64-bit)                                          

Windows Only

LabVIEW RT Module                                        

Windows Only

LabVIEW FPGA Module                                   

Windows Only

LabVIEW DSC Module                                     

Windows Only

LabVIEW Control Design & Simulation Module

Windows / Mac / Linux

LabVIEW Statechart Module                            

Windows Only

LabVIEW Mobile Module                                   

Windows Only

Vision Development Module                             

Windows Only

VI Analyzer Toolkit                                            

Windows Only

Report Generation Toolkit                                

Windows Only

Database Connectivity Toolkit                          

Windows Only

Internet Toolkit                                                  

Windows Only

RT Execution Trace Toolkit                             

Windows Only

Desktop Execution Trace Toolkit                     

Windows Only

Digital Filter Design Toolkit                              

Windows Only

Advanced Signal Processing Toolkit                

Windows Only

Motion Assistant                                               

Windows Only

PID and Fuzzy Logic Toolkit

Windows Only

Simulation Interface Toolkit                              

Windows Only

System Identification Toolkit                            

Windows Only

Adaptive Filter Toolkit                                        

Windows Only

LabVIEW Signal Express                                  

Windows Only

Unit Test Framework                                        

Windows Only

MathScript RT Module

Windows / Mac / Linux

NI SoftMotion Module

Windows Only

Sound and Vibration

Windows Only

We eagerly await your registration.  Thank you for your invaluable help in assisting us design and test LabVIEW.

Regards,
Robert
Message 1 of 51
(13,516 Views)
I would also like to say that the DataFinder Toolkit (Windows Only) will be part of the Platform beta.  I apologize to the development team working on the toolkit and hope that they will someday forgive me for this oversight.  Smiley Happy
Regards,
Robert
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 51
(13,208 Views)
Sorry if I am blunt, but will not Labview 2010 version just be a bug fixed 2009 version more or less. I can not see why it is so important to push out a new version every year. Would it not be better to release an new version in say 2011. That would have made it more interesting for beta testers. I still use Labview but I must say I do not like the direction Labview has taken since 7.x. It much like in Dilbert then marketing and management get their hands on a nice engineered product. And make a mess of it. Labview is of course not there yet. But I can see some warning sign.  

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
Message 3 of 51
(13,192 Views)

LabVIEW 2010 ? Already ??

And I just kind of convinced my most important clients that LV2009 is here to stay for some time. I fully agree with the question "Why a LV version for every year ?" And to be honest, starting with LV 8.0 there was so much of rapid fire versions and bugs leaving the average user in a big tizzy. LV2009 promises to be good and has made a reasonably good start - OK after some patches. To me the last stable one was LV7.1 and then it is LV2009 or so it looks. But it looks like another one is round the corner.

The cost of ownership of the LV software will sure turn out to be a major deterrant at this pace and SMEs will find it very difficult to keep in tune. For major organizations this may not be such an issue affordability wise but even for them it is going to be a nightmare maintaining and supporting so many version changes.

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 51
(13,114 Views)

No, LabVIEW 2010 is not just a bug fix patch to LabVIEW 2009.  Very, very not.  Smiley Wink  As for the pace of LabVIEW releases...I suppose it really depends on your perspective.  If LabVIEW already does everything you need then you want us to slow the pace of releases, if it doesn't then you want us to speed up - at least in the areas you care about. 

Every year LabVIEW breaks new ground in areas where it is being used and that opens up functionality that needs to be added to make it more attractive in those new areas.  The R&D team works very hard to make those changes applicable to as wide an audience as possible.  We also get feature requests from customers that we put into place.

I'd recommend applying for the beta so you can get an advanced look at the software.  It'll also give you a chance to ensure that any bugs that are currently in the software do not affect your applications.

Regards,
Robert
Message 5 of 51
(13,102 Views)

REM1 wrote:

....  The R&D team works very hard to make those changes applicable to as wide an audience as possible. 

I fully agree and am convinced about it. Guys are doing a great job.

Adding features either by  an internal process or external customer requests is  defenitley the way for continuous improvement.  And I am sure you guys are trying very hard to maintain the backward compatibility aspect. Still releasing a Major version every year has this defenite downside : There is this client for whom a code done in LV7 is all that is needed. But when he gets to know that LV2009 is already out, he wants it ONLY, whether it is justified or not.  But you know its a basic datalogging application, quite OK with LV7.0 and if you do not have LV2009 , you either invest in it or loose out the business. 

I was just thinking if you can hold on to a specific version say for two years or so and release plug ins that the user may choose to add on as required. And once you know these are all bug free, merge them into a next major version. The Windows OS has in-built drivers for thousands of printers and scanners and one of the reason it takes 1 GB for simple install. Yet when I bought my new printer lst week, I loaded the driver that came with the printer ! I do agree that the dividing line between a universal package and a custom package is difficult to arrive. 

Of course I have already enrolled for the Beta version, just not to loose out on a head startSmiley Wink

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
Message 6 of 51
(13,094 Views)

Raghunathan wrote:

I was just thinking if you can hold on to a specific version say for two years or so and release plug ins that the user may choose to add on as required. And once you know these are all bug free, merge them into a next major version. The Windows OS has in-built drivers for thousands of printers and scanners and one of the reason it takes 1 GB for simple install. Yet when I bought my new printer lst week, I loaded the driver that came with the printer ! I do agree that the dividing line between a universal package and a custom package is difficult to arrive. 

I can not agree more with you Raghunathan. I have to admit I skipped Labview 8.0 to 8.5. But I upgraded then Labview 8.6 came out. And I am also happy that I completely ignored Windows Vista. I as customer want stability before a not quite error free new version, with only minor changes. But NI (the marketing department) want to sell, and think that they can create an artificial need by presenting a "new" version every year. I will also remind REM1 about the posting "Do you use LabVIEW but not apply for the beta?" http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=375205 That REM1 posted for about a year ago. It is quite interesting to see which postings that get most kudos

But anyway REM1, are you entitled to leak some teasers about what will be new in the 2010 version. Or at least point to some areas which will contain new element(s)

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 51
(13,041 Views)

Coq Rouge wrote:

Raghunathan wrote:

... REM1, are you entitled to leak some teasers about what will be new in the 2010 version. Or at least point to some areas which will contain new element(s)

Alas, no.

Regards,
Robert
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 51
(13,023 Views)

I agree that the release frequency (new major release every year) appears to be high.  You barely get acquainted with the platform and a new one comes along.  I've been thinking of how you would provide new features to customers that anxiously wait for them in a timely basis without doing yearly major releases...  I can't think of any more reasonable alternative.

If software was bug-free, then beta programs wouldn't be needed.. 😉

It looks like I'm on the fence with this one..  I like good old stable products that feel as cozy as a warm (old) pair of socks  (yeah... I know what some of you were thinking 😄 ).  Others want the latest and greatest immediately and all the time..   So there has to be a compromize..  NI's decision on the compromize was to set a yearly release program for new features within major releases..  That's the rule of the game we need to adhere to.  It's neither good or bad, it's just the way it is until a better solution to providing new features is found.  One of which could be to have "special" releases going to those customers who are waiting for those features (yearly).  Then flip everything into a full scale product release every 2 years.   That would probably mean parallel release processes with parallel beta programs.  Would that make people happy?  I don't know..

Message 9 of 51
(13,018 Views)

Hi

Let me give my 2cents.

I have a different question but somehow related to the upgrades :

-when getting a version which has a bug (like the 3D graph in LV 8.6, for instance) I would expect that NI releases a patch to correct for the bug. Instead, NI releases a new version which one needs to pay for.

I wonder if this is fair....

I already asked this but no blue-member answered my question... So yes, I also feel that every year a release is a bit too much, unless patches for the previous version are released to correct for the bugs.

N

Message 10 of 51
(12,945 Views)