LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Announcing the LabVIEW 2009 Platform beta

Ravens Fan said:

LabBEAN,  read the quote again.  He said release LabVIEW every year.  Nowhere did he say a Major release or Minor release

LabVIEW 2009 is implied to be a minor release, as it would be a yearly release.  Major.Minor.Bug would be replaced by Minor.Bug (e.g. LV 2009, LV 2009.1, LV 2010, LV 2010.1, etc.).  In this case, we would lose the ability to discuss issues as they pertain to Major release families (i.e. 6i, 7 Express, 8 Project).  Consider all the KB's that are currently written by release family...

REM1 pointed out that he "will neither confirm nor deny this" when referring to the new naming scheme.

Message Edited by LabBEAN on 02-13-2009 05:51 PM

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 38
(2,798 Views)

LabBEAN wrote:

LabVIEW 2009 is implied to be a minor release, as it would be a yearly release. 

And where is it implied that 2009 would be a minor release?  It may be a major release for all we know.

And has I said, a release is a release whether it is major or minor.  Do you really expect NI to have a major release every year?  I don't, nor would I really want that.  A major release implies a major change in architecuture (such as the express VI's, or the project explorer.)  Minor releases imply improvements, but not necessarily major changes  (such as in place structure, block diagram cleanup).

The bug fixes such as a .1 seem to occur in mid-year cycles.   I can't say for sure that this is always the case.  I know there was an 8.0.1, 8.2.1, and I think an 8.5.1.   LV 8.6 came out in August 2008.  Some people on the forums are already talking about 8.6.1.  I don't know how they have it.  Perhaps it was downloaded.  If it's out, I expect to see in in my quarterly updates that should be coming in the next few weeks.

Overall, I would hope that the next release of LabVIEW in August will be major and named as 9.0  ( I don't like the year name scheme either.)  If not, I guess it will be minor at 8.7.  Only people who are signed up for the Beta program will know how much change is involved.  And they can't talk about that publicly yet.  Maybe they are calling it 2009 right now because marketing has yet to decide whether it will be 8.7 or 9.0. 

Message 22 of 38
(2,776 Views)

In recent history, NI has waited until NI Week to unveil the new version.  The title of this thread tells us that "LabVIEW 2009" will NOT be the next release.

That said, if LabVIEW 8.0, 8.2, 8.5, and 8.6 had instead been named LabVIEW 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008, then we couldn't refer to the Major release family (e.g. LabVIEW 8.x).  That is, the major release and minor releases would not be distinguishable by name (i.e. LV 2005 [Major] and LV 2006 [Minor] would have the same naming convention).  Instead of "LabVIEW M.m.b", we would have "LabVIEW m.b".  This is why I said they would be Minor releases (not because of developmental content, but because all we know is that they are at least Minor).

Really, I just wanted to come to smercurio_fc's defense before "LabVIEW 2009" caught fire. 🙂

Message Edited by LabBEAN on 02-13-2009 10:46 PM

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 38
(2,768 Views)

LabBEAN wrote:

In recent history, NI has waited until NI Week to unveil the new version.    Correct, I agree.

The title of this thread tells us that "LabVIEW 2009" will NOT be the next release.  I still don't see why you are saying this.  This is Feb. 2009.  The next NI week is Aug. 2009, 6 months away.  I don't know how tight the develoment schedule would be, but if they are planning on making the next release in 2009, and they hold true to the history of doing it at NI week,  Then "LabVIEW 2009" would be the next release and we'll see it in August.  Unless you are counting a quarterly update as a "release" which I would not.  I found found that sometimes my quarterly update does not have any worthwhile changes (not even a .1 bug fix) to make it worth the effort of installing.  Perhaps the quarterly update has a new DAQmx driver, or they updated LabWindows or something else like a toolkit.

That said, if LabVIEW 8.0, 8.2, 8.5, and 8.6 had instead been named LabVIEW 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008, then we couldn't refer to the Major release family (e.g. LabVIEW 8.x).  That is, the major release and minor releases would not be distinguishable by name (i.e. LV 2005 [Major] and LV 2006 [Minor] would have the same naming convention).  Instead of "LabVIEW M.m.b", we would have "LabVIEW m.b".  This is why I said they would be Minor releases (not because of developmental content, but because all we know is that they are at least Minor).  Yes.  I agree.  The year naming would hide the M.m.b convention.  and I wouldn't like it as well.  It has been along run of minor releases (at least 4 releases in the 8.0 family) while the 7 family had 2 (7.0 and 7.1) and I'm not sure about the 6.0 family but I think only a couple.  So I'd say we are due for a major release to 9.0. 

Really, I just wanted to come to smercurio_fc's defense before "LabVIEW 2009" caught fire. 🙂  I agree here as well.

Message Edited by LabBEAN on 02-13-2009 10:46 PM

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 38
(2,763 Views)

Before NI dings me, let me say that NI reserves the right to call August's release whatever they want (and we're all going to like it and be excited to see new features).  I just meant the whole name discussion is a little presumptive since the name of this August's release is hush hush.  If they were going to actually call it "LabVIEW 2009", I wouldn't expect to see the name "LabVIEW 2009" in the title of a forums post by NI.

REM1 was just trying to group the new LabVIEW products under an intuitive name.  "LabVIEW 2009 Platform" made sense.  What ensued was a naming poke by smercurio_fc, a counter poke by REM1, and a "please don't actually call it that" from LabBEAN.

For the sake of returning to the original purpose of this thread...

"You can register by visiting http://www.ni.com/beta and selecting 'LabVIEW 2009 Platform' from the list of beta programs."

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 38
(2,757 Views)

Still no 64-bit support for Linux? That is awful. That means we would still have to drag in 32-bit compatibility libraries just to run LabView. Please reconsider this.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 38
(2,576 Views)

Hi friends

I am Joseph. This is a very nice thought.

Joseoph

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 38
(2,209 Views)

STTLLER wrote:

Hi friends

I am Joseph. This is a very nice thought.

Joseoph

The medications must have worn off.

Message 28 of 38
(2,199 Views)

Given that he has 30 posts about labview related items, I'd say he either has a virus, or walked away from the computer and left his e-mail open for someone to play with. Smiley Very Happy Speaking of viruses, anyone heard about this Conficker C thing that is coming??

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/this_no_joke_confickerc_strike_april_fools_day

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 38
(2,180 Views)

There seems to be a pattern.  Every few days he appears with half dozen "I'm here" posts.  Then nothing.  Then the cycle repeats.

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 38
(2,173 Views)