From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amptek MCA8000A

Hi,
I'm looking for a LabVIEW instrument driver to control an Amptek MCA8000A.
I'd appreciate any help in finding this.
Thanks,
Paul
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(6,953 Views)
Hi Paul, you could contact mr. Ettore Gobbi at ASSING (e.gobbi@assing.it) that already has developed the drivers you're looking for.
Regards, Raffaele Fiengo DSM-NI Italy
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(6,952 Views)
Hello Raffaele Fiengo.

I sent emails to the mr. Ettore Gobbi, but  i did not obtain an answer, you know some other source for obtaining this driver for the MCA.

Thanks in advanced

Eduardo moreno.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(6,820 Views)
I am developing some software to connect and use the MCA8000a via Labview.  I am wondering if you ever had any luck.  We are running into some problems  with the communication ourselves.

Thanks,
Eric
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(6,707 Views)
Passing by, I'm also about to undertake the same, and would be very happy to share experience and learn about caveats and quirks before hitting my nose on them. I've just visited this other relevant thread:

Any other resources? Anybody still out there?

Thanks, Enrico
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(6,662 Views)

I am trying to use ActiveX to interface with the Amptek DP4 software.  Amptek supplies a tlb file, which I registered with XP, but the Type Library doesn't list any functions in the dialog box when I right-click on the Automation Ref control.  Has anyone else been successful at this?  Are there any sample VIs?

Gretchen

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(6,226 Views)

Any luck in writing one? Couldn't find it in the driver download section. I probably try to write my own, but not sure if I will succeed 😉

Arun

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(5,783 Views)

YES!  An Amptek represetative emailed me a complete example Labview Program in May of '09.

Send email to me:  gzimmer@pppl.gov and I'll forward you the zip file.

Gretchen

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(5,747 Views)
Dear Gretchen,
would you send me the examples you're mentioning in the LV forum thread? In change, I can pass you the set of wrappers I wrote for the dll (see).
I would not be in condition of testing these examples in the immediate, but I'm generally interested in having a look at them. After experience, the main reason of my dissatisfaction is that the (closed) way the dll is written, polling the device is very inefficient, cpu intensive and not completely stable, leading to locked serial resource at times.
I also understand that there is an issue with older MCAs, like all those we have in the lab - the serial protocol is very nonstandard and makes an odd use of some control lines besides standard tx and rx (preventing the use of an usb-serial adapter, btw). From a certain serial # on, the protocol has been rationalized, and could probably be all implemented in terms of standard Visa reads and writes. I'm quoting off my head at the moment, but I remember the Amptek site is specific about. Which version of the communication protocol are your examples written for?
Thanks, Enrico
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(5,720 Views)

Dear Gretchen,

I stumbled upon this older post of yours regarding a LabVIEW program for the Amptek MCA8000A.

I just wanted to check if you'd still be willing to share it if I send you an email?

Cheers,

Iain

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(5,128 Views)