LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All my instruments are returning VISA Errors

Solved!
Go to solution

I recently added the Lake Shore Model 336 Cryogenic Temperature Controller driver to the instr.lib folder under National Instruments program files. When I tried running one of the example programs that came with the driver, LabView returned:

Error -1073807346 occurred at VISA Open in Lake Shore 336.lvlib:Initialize.vi->Lake Shore 336 Write Curve.vi

Because I was working on another VI at the time I just ignored the error and planned to fix it later. That other program, which had been running a servo motor error-free for the last week, also starting giving an error:

Error -1073807343 occurred at VISA Clear

Could improper installation of the Lake Shore drivers somehow affect my other instruments? I am currently running LabView 2012 and have NI-VISA 4.6.

Thank you for any help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,402 Views)

Have you already restarted LabVIEW, and if that didn't fix it, restarted the computer? Simply installing the Lakeshore driver should not cause a problem, it's just copying a couple of VIs. Maybe running the example program could cause a problem, if it used the same serial port as your working code and it reset some parameters of the port (such as baud rate), but restarting should fix that. You're certain you didn't bump a connector loose at the same time you installed the Lakeshore driver?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,376 Views)

I've restarted the program and the computer multiple times. If I did happen to bump a connector while installing the drivers, should I just try reinstalling them? Also, I've checked MAX and all the ports look to be in order.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,362 Views)

@Conradry wrote:

I've restarted the program and the computer multiple times. If I did happen to bump a connector while installing the drivers, should I just try reinstalling them? Also, I've checked MAX and all the ports look to be in order.

If you think you may have bumped a connector, the proper response is to check that all the connectors are properly seated.

When you say, "all the ports," do you mean that you can see all the instruments?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,357 Views)

All the connections are fine. Yes I can see all the instruments listed correctly in MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,351 Views)

Part of the servo setup used an Arduino, I replaced the USB cable to the Arduino and now the servo motor works. However, the Lake Shore still doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,339 Views)

To recap:

The original problem was that the servo motor stopped working when the Lake Shore Temp Controller was connected and drivers installed.

The temp controller does not work as well.

You corrected the servo issue by replacing the USB cable to the servo (which uses an Arduino), but are still having issues with the temp controller.

Both devices are recognized by MAX.

Do you still get the -1073807346 error?  Or is it different now?  That error means "VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF000E) The given session or object reference is invalid."

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,324 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Conradry

Do the Lakeshore drivers include their own version of VISA?  Sometimes competing versions of VISA can cuase problems.

Lynn

Message 8 of 8
(3,317 Views)