LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All cases of Remote executing vi-applications

EveryBody answer me other cases of Remote execution (anyfile.vi) instead of:
==================
1. Client connect by Browser to Remote Server which broadcasting out an (anyfile.vi).
Teacher manipulate controls on control panel and at the same time
student watch a slideshow of (anyfile.vi) in own Browser.

Pluses:
+ Don't require to have Run-Time Egine on Client-machine to view (anyfile.vi),
because Browser receives (bmp or jpeg) slides.
+ It is not necessary to dowload (anyfile.vi) on the client-machine.

Minuses:
- May be i'm wrong ??? It is possible broadcasting out only one (anyfile.vi) on ONE SERVER.
Please correct me if i'm wrong.
- Student can't control of Remote (anyfile.vi). He can only watch.
- It is realy slow method to broadcasting slides.
- ANYFILE.VI SHOULD BE BROADCASTED ON THE SERVER.
SO IT IS AN ADDITIONAL LOAD ON THE SERVER'S RESOURCES (CPU, MEMORY).

==================
2. Client should have installed RunTime Engine. Via browser student connect to Remote Server.
This Server should broadcasting (anyfile.vi).
RunTime Engine provide almost all controls to client for building control panel on the Client side.

+ One student can manage (anyfile.vi)
+ This method provide a small trafic (kb/sec), because client's browser doesn't receive images of VI-controls.
All controls' images are stored in the RunTime Engine libraries on the Client Side.

- ONLY ONE STUDENT CAN MANAGE (ANYFILE.VI)
- ANYFILE.VI SHOULD BE BROADCASTED ON THE SERVER. SO IT IS AN ADDITIONAL LOAD ON THE SERVER'S RESOURCES (CPU, MEMORY).
- No more than two (anyfile1.vi and anyfile2.vi) can be broadcasting from one Remote Server (it is too slow).

========================================
3. This method is using in my University
Client should have installed RunTime Engine. Build an executable file (anyfile.exe) from (anyfile.vi).
Store this file on ftp-server. Client via browser use by URL on a WEB-page open (anyfile.exe)

+ Each student has own instance of (anyfile.exe) (application is downloading on the Client machine).
It mean that each student (!!!at the same time!!!) can manage own control panel of (anyfile.exe).
So students will receive different results of their work if a teacher
give a different initial values for the same (anyfile.exe).
+ Server don't realize any calculations on the own side(it is reduce an additional loads from the server).
All calculations are realizing on the client side.
+ This method allow to store all vi-modules (vi-applications) on one SERVER.

- Downloaded files stay on a client machine and doesn't clear to itself.
It is necessary seasonly to clean a client machine.
- It is necessary to make additional works for realize students identification and store students results.

My question:

DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANOTHER METHODS OF EXECUTE REMOTE VI-MODULES
WHERE EACH STUDENT WILL HAVE THIER OWN CONTROL PANEL OF THE SAME VI-MODULE.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,306 Views)

Sirios,

The way the remote front panels works is that the block diagram actually runs on the server machine, so you wouldn't be able to run the same VI in more than one instance on the same machine. You could make it reentrant, but I don't think that would work for remote panels (although I haven't tried it). But what you might want to do is to save the exact same VI with different names (e.g. VI_1.vi, VI_2.vi, etc.). Then make all of those VIs available through the web server configuration. That way, each student would have their own instance of the same VI to work with and be able to control it as they need to. But each VI would need to operate on separate URLs, so you could have one "master" URL with links to each of the different VIs that students could click on.

A more difficult option would be to save your VI as a template. Then, when a student signs on to the URL, you could programmatically save that template as it's own VI and the student could control it in the same way as the first example. This would be a little more difficult, though, and require the Internet Toolkit.

I hope this information helps you out. Have a great day!

Tyler S

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,291 Views)