LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After project build, code that opened a sub VI no longer works

I have a project that I am ready to build into a .exe.

I have code in the main VI that opens and runs another VI when an operator clicks on a button. When the operator is done manipulating the popup vi, he closes it and continues working in the main VI. He opens this popup VI often. The code that opens this popup vi is shown in a .jpg file attached. Obviously, if the project is built into a .exe, this code will no longer work (even if I still have the "PID Popup.vi" file in the correct location.

What is the proper method of opening a "popup" vi from a "main vi" that will still work when I build a project?

Hopefully that made sense!

Michael
Michael Hampson
President
XL Automation, Inc.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,366 Views)
simple question, did you retain the pop-up's front panel in the build?  My guess is that you have not, and that you are getting an error when you invoke it, but since the errors are not handled you would not know that.
Just a guess and my $.02

Of course reflecting about 20 more seconds, you would not need to include it in the build.  But remember, if you are calling other VIs that are in the build, it is a possibility of getting a compile error as you are running in the RTE and not the development environment.  I would wire the error terminals and output that error cluster and look there.

Message Edited by Stradis on 05-30-2007 12:27 PM

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,362 Views)
Since the VI is being loaded dynamically it would need to be included in the build in the "Dynamic VIs and Support Files" listbox. Does the "Get Path" VI that you have take into account the path based on whether it's in the development environment or running from within an executable?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,350 Views)
We have all done this, executable paths are different then paths relative to a vi in debug mode.
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,343 Views)

I do have the code in there to check if we are running in RTE or dev mode, and updating the "current path" variable. On the jpeg, the vi labeled "Get Path" does this. However, I do not have the file included in the "Dynamic VIs and Support Files" listbox. I will try this and post back again.

Thanks for the help!

Michael

Michael Hampson
President
XL Automation, Inc.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,337 Views)