LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding labels to a chart

Hi,

my application currently contains different waveform charts that are being updated every seconds.
In another part some events are generated and I would like these events to appear programatically on the charts too
as labels or comments.

I know it is possible to add such labels to a graph with the cursor property, but I haven't been able to find the
equivalent for charts, so any help would be nice.

Thanks
Yann
Message 1 of 4
(3,883 Views)
Charts cannot have cursors, since the plot is often moving, and dragging the cursor after a moving target is a UI nightmare.

One way would be to have the point of interest be duplicated in a separate plot with a neon red X. This would lie on top of the regular, more sedate data plot. Then use the legend to display your label (the "Plot Name" property).

If you have to have the label on top of the graph, you could take the PLOT AREA width and height, and the YMIN, YMAX, XMIN, and XMAX and find the pixel coordinates yourself. Then place a transparent label at that location with the text you want.

If you're using strip-chart mode on the chart, you could use a graph to simulate the chart's behavior. Keep your own history buffer and trim off the oldest stuff yourself. then use the cursors normally.
Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

Message 2 of 4
(3,865 Views)

Now that 7 years have passed since the original request, I would hope that Cursors could be added to Charts in some future LabVIEW version.

I wouldn't even mind if it was a new plotting tool added. 

This will save development time when coding, instead of having to use buffering and trimming to achieve a simple plot.

I am currently using LabVIEW 10 & 11.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,035 Views)

@Psych wrote:

Now that 7 years have passed since the original request, I would hope that Cursors could be added to Charts in some future LabVIEW version.

I wouldn't even mind if it was a new plotting tool added. 

This will save development time when coding, instead of having to use buffering and trimming to achieve a simple plot.

I am currently using LabVIEW 10 & 11.

You can always post to the Idea exchange but...

I suspect if available, it would be of use in only apps with slow moving data. Fast acq's would soon dispalce the cursors as time moves on.

Have fun!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,031 Views)