From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding comments to data files

Hello!

Does anybody knows how can I add comment to data file (usually text file) so that one can see it in file properties (Summery/Comments)?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,843 Views)

Usually what I do is the following:

Either at the end or beginning of the code,
I have a "write to spreadsheet file" function. I write the comments, input the file path, and enable appending to the file.

Then when I am writing the data to this file, I use this same file path, and append the data to the already created file.

This way, you can have you file in the following format:

Comments

|

|

\/ 

Data

|

|

|

\/ 

Im not on my computer that has LabVIEW right now, but if you have questions, I'll attach a sample VI tomorrow when I get to my computer. 

Cory K
Message 2 of 4
(2,830 Views)

Cory K wrote:

Usually what I do is the following:

Either at the end or beginning of the code,
I have a "write to spreadsheet file" function. I write the comments, input the file path, and enable appending to the file.

Then when I am writing the data to this file, I use this same file path, and append the data to the already created file.

This way, you can have you file in the following format:

Comments

|

|

\/ 

Data

|

|

|

\/ 

Im not on my computer that has LabVIEW right now, but if you have questions, I'll attach a sample VI tomorrow when I get to my computer. 

Thank you Cory K.  Usually I use the same approach: adding comments inside data file. The problem is that after a day of measurements a have a lot of files for different samples measured at different conditions. Then I have to open each file to check how the sample was tested. Not very convenient. I would be very happy to see comments just pointing mouse on the file name. Windows allows to see standard file attributes pointing mouse on file name. But unfortunately I can not find a way how to change that data file attributes in LabView. Do you have any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,824 Views)

Great Cory!

It work very good and solved my problem. Thank you!!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,391 Views)