LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding comments to data files

Hello!

Does anybody knows how can I add comment to data file (usually text file) so that one can see it in file properties (Summery/Comments)?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,816 Views)

Usually what I do is the following:

Either at the end or beginning of the code,
I have a "write to spreadsheet file" function. I write the comments, input the file path, and enable appending to the file.

Then when I am writing the data to this file, I use this same file path, and append the data to the already created file.

This way, you can have you file in the following format:

Comments

|

|

\/ 

Data

|

|

|

\/ 

Im not on my computer that has LabVIEW right now, but if you have questions, I'll attach a sample VI tomorrow when I get to my computer. 

Cory K
Message 2 of 4
(2,803 Views)

Cory K wrote:

Usually what I do is the following:

Either at the end or beginning of the code,
I have a "write to spreadsheet file" function. I write the comments, input the file path, and enable appending to the file.

Then when I am writing the data to this file, I use this same file path, and append the data to the already created file.

This way, you can have you file in the following format:

Comments

|

|

\/ 

Data

|

|

|

\/ 

Im not on my computer that has LabVIEW right now, but if you have questions, I'll attach a sample VI tomorrow when I get to my computer. 

Thank you Cory K.  Usually I use the same approach: adding comments inside data file. The problem is that after a day of measurements a have a lot of files for different samples measured at different conditions. Then I have to open each file to check how the sample was tested. Not very convenient. I would be very happy to see comments just pointing mouse on the file name. Windows allows to see standard file attributes pointing mouse on file name. But unfortunately I can not find a way how to change that data file attributes in LabView. Do you have any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,797 Views)

Great Cory!

It work very good and solved my problem. Thank you!!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,364 Views)