From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding another trigger

Solved!
Go to solution

hello everyone and happy new year.

I have a LabView program that can control the movement of a stage. Adding on this, i have another program to control the rotational step of a quarter wave plate. They both comunicate with a spectrometer, but separately. Mi goal is to create a connection between the two LabView codes, but i don't know how i can do (i have never did a program in LV). Let's say S the spectrometer, Q the LabView program to control the QWP and M the ones that controls the stage's movement, my actual situation is : M does a step -> sends a trigger to S -> S does a measure -> sends a trigger to M -> M does a step; and, SEPARATELY (is another LV code and program): Q does a rotation-> Q sends a trigger to S -> S does a measure -> S sends a trigger to Q -> Q does a rotation. My goal will be

M does a step -> sends a trigger to Q -> Q does a rotation -> Q sends a trigger to S -> S does a measure -> S sends a trigger to Q -> Q does a rotation -> Q sends a trigger to S -> S does a measure -> S sends a trigger to Q (x 181 times)-> ....-> S sends the last trigger to Q -> Q stops mapping and returns to the starting position -> Q sends a trigger to M -> M does a step -> and everything will be repeated.

How can i do? Just changing the BNC connection or i have to change the code? If this is true, how can i do? 

Thank you very much for the answer

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,376 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Masterly22

Hi Masterly,

You didn't attach either of your VIs, so it's a little more difficult to give good tips.

That being said, what you're describing is essentially programmed using a pair of nested For loops - probably you'll need your code from Q to be inside the inner loop, and the stepping part of M to be in the outer loop (before or after the inner loop, depending on your initial condition. I'd guess before would work best...).

You won't need M to trigger S, if you're actually only measuring after rotations.

Instead, just ensure that M completes the step before you start Q0 in the inner For loop. A blocking move is what you need here (i.e. a VI that moves the stage, but doesn't finish the VI until the stage has finished moving). You might need the "trigger" or pulse from M to determine when this is true if you can't get a blocking move (because then you can have a VI that checks for the pulse and doesn't return until it finishes).

For more detailed/direct help, please attempt what I've described then attach your new (semi-combined) VI and we can go forward from there.

If you have questions, you can of course ask those first! 🙂

GCentral
Message 2 of 2
(2,302 Views)