LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding an FPGA target under Project vs My Computer in LabVIEW/Configuration of FPGA Desktop Execution Node

Hi everyone, I have experience with LabVIEW and now have been trying to learn LabVIEW FPGA. I am using PXIe-7975R Digitizer inside a PXIe Chassis and am communicating to this Chassis using an MXI-Express Link x8 system. I have been trying to follow this youtube tutorial: LabVIEW procedure: Make your first FPGA application. I arrived at one issue. In the tutorial, the person adds their target under the Project tree directly. In my application, I am only able to add it under my Computer which makes it a different level. Is this because the Digitizer card I am using is only a target while MyRIO used in the tutorial is a device of its own? What is the difference between a device or a target? The reason why I am asking this is because I actually can't get through the tutorial because I/O Pins become an issue.

In the tutorial, they are creating the FPGA Test Bench VI and place a Desktop Execution Node down, after doing so, terminal configuration window pops up.

In the tutorial, this is what they see (forum Question 1 .PNG). They first select front panel controls and indicators (Front Pannel Controls and Indicators.PNG) and I am able to do this as well (), and then they select simulated I/O (simulated.PNG).

When I try to go through these steps, I am only able to select the front panel controls and indicators which I believe is because I was able to add the Target under MyComputer instead of the Project which would give it the same hierarchy level as MyComputer. I'm not really sure where to go from here and am new to working with FPGAs and LabVIEW FPGA, any guidance or help is appreciated.

Screenshots of the tutorial steps when I try to do them are labeled as Select VI tree.PNG and available resources.PNG. I cannot access direct I/O connections to the FPGA and thus cannot finish the FPGA Desktop Execution Node Configuration.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,855 Views)

I've contacted a moderator. I accidentally posted this under documents first.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,823 Views)

In response to your comment on the document post (I've asked the moderator to remove that one).

Quoting you: "

Under my computer is correct. MXI is a bus extender which makes things appear under your computer. Under project are typically items which have their own IP address. "

So what is the goal of what the tutorial is doing with the step that I am not able to complete (since the card doesn't have its own IP address)? Reading a little bit about the FPGA Desktop Execution Node, I'm getting the impression that this allows to simulate the FPGA behavior without actually loading any bitfiles? Am I not able to add the I/Os of the FPGA because it is not considered an independent device from MyComputer? How does this hierarchy affect communication between the Host and the FPGA target?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,819 Views)

This is a good reference: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371599P-01/lvfpgahelp/fpga_getting_started/

The myRIO tutorial is connected via ethernet cable, the 7975 is a FlexRIO card that plugs into a PXI chassis.  Are you trying to run the myRIO tutorial on the 7975 card?

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,806 Views)

Thanks, I will check it out.

And I'm recreating it myself instead of downloading the done application and trying to run that using my setup. I know myRIO has different I/O options, so I can't use exactly the same inputs and outputs as myRIO provides. I was able to access some LEDs and Boolean indicators with the  IO 5761 module (Adapter Module for the 7975R FlexRIO). I'm just trying to create a similar application as the tutorial provides to get familiar with it. I am starting to see that won't be possible. I am mainly trying to understand how is possible to add the FPGA target to the terminal configuration and access its Onboard I/Os as shown in Simulated.PNG and how come I am not able to do that with my setup. What is the difference?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,731 Views)

Wait, I see. So I am working in a local system and hence my Host VI is the one with all the controls and indicators which is why I am unable to add the I/O pins from the FPGA target. Because the Host VI does this directly and is the controller in this system, is this correct?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,718 Views)

@thej178 wrote:

Thanks, I will check it out.

And I'm recreating it myself instead of downloading the done application and trying to run that using my setup. I know myRIO has different I/O options, so I can't use exactly the same inputs and outputs as myRIO provides. I was able to access some LEDs and Boolean indicators with the  IO 5761 module (Adapter Module for the 7975R FlexRIO). I'm just trying to create a similar application as the tutorial provides to get familiar with it. I am starting to see that won't be possible. I am mainly trying to understand how is possible to add the FPGA target to the terminal configuration and access its Onboard I/Os as shown in Simulated.PNG and how come I am not able to do that with my setup. What is the difference?

Can't see your image.  The 7975R has no I/O without a FAM (FlexRIO Adpater Module).  Did you add the FAM?  Which are you using?

ALE Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,692 Views)

@thej178 wrote:

Wait, I see. So I am working in a local system and hence my Host VI is the one with all the controls and indicators which is why I am unable to add the I/O pins from the FPGA target. Because the Host VI does this directly and is the controller in this system, is this correct?

Host VI interfaces to the FPGA VI via DMA-FIFO and MMRA.  I would not consider it the controller of the system per se; the FPGA should also be a key player in the controlling of the system (but that depends on the system).  The Host's role is to configure and stream to/from the FPGA.

ALE Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,687 Views)

I have the same problem. Simulating a 7971R with 6585B. FAM DIO signals are missing from Avaialble resources. Shows up or R device, but not for Flex.

johnnyLabVIEWlongtime_0-1583952375436.png

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,504 Views)