From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ActiveX control using relative paths

I've been battling with an Active X control for a while now. Everytime I use a particular active x control inside a VI, it crashes during execution. Labview wasn't giving much of a hint, but after an exhaustive investigation, we determined that the exe must be in the third party vendors bin folder for it to work properly. In other words, the active x control looks for lower level dll's using the executable's relative path. I've successfully got this working by building an exe from Labview and then placing it in the bin folder and executing from there.

So my question: Is there anyway to get this working correctly in the development evironment? Right now, if I try to run this from the development environment, it looks for the dll's relative to the path of Labview.exe. Is there any setting to make a VI look like it is running from a different location? I know I could continually create builds, but it would be much easier if I could run VIs from the development environment while I develop and debug.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,023 Views)

No, you cannot make a VI "look like it is running from someplace else". The VI isn't what's running - it's the LabVIEW development environment that's running. This sounds like an issue with the ActiveX control that you're using, and not an issue with LabVIEW. Have you tried contacting the publisher of that ActiveX control and asking them why they wrote it that way?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,022 Views)

I've been all over the developers about this, but the likelyhood of them changing that behavior is not good. I was hoping for a way around it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,020 Views)