From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ActiveX Server Error - Class not Registered. Attempted documented solutions.

Hello,

I have a LabVIEW application that I am attempting to test through the ActiveX Server feature.  This application was something I inherited and I was not involved in the development.  My initial attempts to get ActiveX server operating correctly have failed: I get the -2147221164 Class not registered error from the Open Application node.  I have researched on this forum for similar issues, and the proposed solutions have been to manually register the type library and/or the executable server.  I followed the steps in the following link for both the .tlb and .exe:

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019MOqSAM&l=en-US

• The .tlb seems to register fine but does not resolve the issue.
  • Attempting to register the .exe yields a windows error "Write permission to Registry denied, LabVIEW Server not registered."
  • I am on an administrator account.
  • I have tested ActiveX Server on a simpler LabVIEW program on my machine and have no issues (I do not even need to manually register anything).

The build properties loads a custom configuration with the following tokens - I'm not sure if any of these would affect the ActiveX server, but thought I would put it out here in case it raised any flags:

hideRootWindow=True
colorHistoryItemA=0000DC92
colorHistoryItemB=00FF4C2A
server.app.propertiesEnabled=True
server.ole.enabled=True
server.tcp.serviceName="My Computer/VI Server"
server.vi.propertiesEnabled=True
WebServer.TcpAccess="c+*"
WebServer.ViAccess="+*"
DebugServerEnabled=False
DebugServerWaitOnLaunch=False
blinkFG=0064ff00

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,456 Views)

@Nichigo wrote:

I am on an administrator account.

That doesn't matter. You need a command line with elevated rights. Being an admin doesn't mean everything runs with admin rights.

Starting the command line as administrator might help. Type run>cmd.exe, and right click it and select Run As Administrator.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,424 Views)
wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Starting the command line as administrator might help. Type run>cmd.exe, and right click it and select Run As Administrator.

This worked...thank you!

Any idea why I have to manually register this application versus another LabVIEW application I've developed on my machine?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,417 Views)

@Nichigo wrote:
wiebe@CARYA wrote:

This worked...thank you!

Any idea why I have to manually register this application versus another LabVIEW application I've developed on my machine?

If the command line does the same as the LabVIEW program, they should both need to be started as admin.

It probably comes down to the fact that having administrator rights as a user doesn't give all administrator rights to applications that are run by the user. See for instance this thread. In short, starting a program will give the program a restricted access token. Run as administrator starts the program will full access token. I think this is the 'new' UAC mechanism introduced in Window 7.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,400 Views)