LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Action Engine indicators do not update?

Solved!
Go to solution

This action engine is part of a larger test. I call it every 15 minutes to test for temperature stabilization (four consecutive readings at 15 minute intervals within three degrees)

It seems to work as far as detecting stabilization but I don't understand why it's numerical array indicators do not update.

If you run this by it's self and fill numbers in the Temperatures array control all the indicators work.

But when it is a sub-vi all the indicators remain grayed out or in their initialized state when I open it while it is running.

I even have brought the Stab Array out with a terminal thinking it would be updated every time the sub-vi ran, but it is not.

What is going on here?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,944 Views)

What is the reentrency setting on this VI?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,931 Views)

@Darin.K wrote:

What is the reentrency setting on this VI?

It is NOT set to be reentrent

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,923 Views)

It seems to work OK for me.

Here's what I did:

Put snippet on block diagram

Disconnected Function control from Type Def

Wired controls and indicators to connector pane

Then I placed the AE in a main program. Being lazy, the main uses a breakpoint to stop each execution of the loop so you can vary the Temperature inputs.

steve

Weinberg's Second Law: If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,920 Views)
Solution
Accepted by RTSLVU

I think that LV sometimes does not update indicators on panels which are closed at the time the VI runs, even though the data is processed and passed along correctly.  This is an optimization to avoid doing things which make no difference (In this case not updating indicators which no one can see).

If you run your main VI for a while then open the AE FP, you see the initial state of the FP until the main calls the AE again.  Have you watched it long enough to see if this is what is happening?

Lynn

Message 5 of 8
(2,896 Views)

Hello RTSLVU

I will be happy to assist you with this issue.  Can you let me know if any of the community input has assisted you in your issue?  Out of curiosity, which hardware are you using for temperature sensing?

Thank you for supporting National Instruments!

Greg S.

Sincerely,

Greg S.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,847 Views)

@Greg S wrote:

Hello RTSLVU

I will be happy to assist you with this issue.  Can you let me know if any of the community input has assisted you in your issue?  Out of curiosity, which hardware are you using for temperature sensing?

Thank you for supporting National Instruments!

Greg S.

I think @johnsold is right, I must not have been looking at my sub-vi(action engine) at the right time as I have left it open and the indicators are updating. The vi has been working for a long time. I just had done some optimizations recently and was concerned since it seemingly was working but did not look like it could be because all the indicators were in their default state every time I looked at it while running...

Anyway we use Agilent 34970A units with 34091A 20 channel MUX cards for thermalcouple measurements. 

The 34970A is our engineering lab workhorse.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,838 Views)

Hello RTSLVU

I'm happy to hear that you are content with this response.

Thank you very much for supporting National Instruments!

-Greg S.

Sincerely,

Greg S.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,819 Views)