From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accuracy Class for Test Equipments

Solved!
Go to solution

When it comes to Automated Test Equipments, the major aspect is the Accuracy Class of the sensors used on it.

If its a pressure transducer,  then an ATE used in a R&D Lab may have a Accuracy Class of 0.5 as compared to the one used on a general purpose production ATE which may be Class 1 or 2. 

Generally the client specifies what class of sensors are required based on the end application. But in a particular case of a Hydraulic Test Equipment which is used for life testing some gear boxes the client is insisting for Class 0.1 levels for all sensors like pressure / temperature / torque etc. Honestly its a overkill for the application.  OK its my view.

But I would like to know if there is any Standards Document  that specifies clearly what Accuracy Class is permitted for different types of ATEs ....can anyone point to one such document ?

Thanks in advance,.

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,146 Views)

The client has ordered!  He will pay it. 🙂  So where's the problem?

Maybe he want to analyse minor drifts (or other effects) ... reuse it later for different tasks .. not your problem!

You can always drop a note that by redefining the requirements, he can save money.

Nice, if you just have to order items to meet the reqs. Challenge starts when the client want the impossible 😉

And I don't know of a general standard, the ISO 9K will just say you have to define, monitor and document it 😄

(And often the client of your client define the standards to meet)

Finally I would claim other stuff as the major aspect for ATEs.... but that's my opinion.(You need a lower uncertainty? Just replace X and Y ..DONE!.... Wait.. you need a requalification? ahh ..)

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,090 Views)

@Henrik

Yes... I have no problem if the customer is willing to pay for what he wants. But for that he should know what he wants in the first place ! In many cases they don't.

Each parameter has its own unique requirement in a ATE. If i am measuring temperature of the order of 700 Deg C then fighting for 1 Deg C on that value is just argumentative.   And flowmeters ... well they are one of the most wrongly understood items. It starts from knowing if the flow is above 50%  or less than 40%   to knowing it to first decimal precision to calibrate something.  And both flowmeters are poles apart in terms of accuracy class.  The problem starts  when the client insists that he wants the same 0.1 Class instrument for both after finalizing the order and refuses to correct it to suit ! 

Thanks for the inputs.

Raghunathan
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,081 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MogaRaghu

Ok I got the exact document I wanted : ISO 6403:1988 

It has an annexure which enlists the required accuracy level in three categories like A,B and C. Will buy the standard and check. 

Raghunathan
Message 4 of 4
(2,075 Views)