From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access variables (Shared variable pallet - Scan Mode)

Hello,

I would like to be able to access an analogue C-series module in my cRio-9040 using the shared variable pallet; However

I need the vi to run on the local PC, not the target.

Project.JPG

Is this possible?

I modified an example vi but I am met with an error, the single variable for ai0 works fine though.

Block.JPG

I use LabVIEW very infrequently so I am still fairly novice.

Thanks in advance for any help.

M

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(689 Views)

The cRIO has a separate processor running a Real-Time Operating System (probably NI Linux Real-Time) that, in turn, is communicating with the Modules that are plugged into it (as MAX is showing you).  Your LabVIEW code in your PC communicates with a separate piece of LabVIEW code that you run on the cRIO.  The PC code handles the User Interface, display, and file I/O, while the LabVIEW Real-Time code on the cRIO handles the communication with the DAC hardware.  The two programs communicate using TCP/IP, making this a very flexible, very fast, and responsive Data Acquisition and Control platform.

It is not (in general) possible to run cRIO hardware on a PC.  There are USB DAQ devices that will plug into your PC, but modules for the cRIO will not.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(672 Views)

Hi Bob

thank-you for your reply.

I am a little out my depth here, but I think I understand what your driving at.

would something like this be possible, In this event I wasn't able to bind the All Variables control to the variable.

Project.JPG

This code runs on the cRIO

RT Vi.JPG

This code runs on the PC

Block.JPG

I was looking for a more elegant solution than dragging all the individual 

channel variable to the vi on the PC as below

Capture.JPG

Thanks Again

M

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3