LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access graph properties dialog during runtime

Hi - I have an application where I would like the user to be able to change some graph/plot properties while the program is running.  I can use property nodes to change these properties programmatically, and I could make my own dialogs for the user to do this (what I'm doing now), but it would be much faster if I could use the properties dialog that Labview has in edit mode.  Does anyone know if there's a way to access those during runtime?  I've attached a pic of the dialog I would like to use, it doesn't seem to be available when the program is running.  Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,377 Views)

Hi ace,

show the plot legend of the graph: now the user has access to all/most plot properties!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(1,374 Views)

Yes, great point, however I chose to use a custom legend for various reasons, so I can't use that.  Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(1,370 Views)

Hi ace,

the same way you created your own plot legend replacement you should create a VI (set to "dialog" window options) to mimic the plot properties dialog of the graph…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(1,343 Views)

So, the core of your question is:  "I would like to access the plot properties right click menu in runtime. Is that possible?"

And the answer is no.  That menu contains properties that are only able to be changed in edit mode (Label Text for example).  I don't believe NI has made any separate dialogue for this, aside from the defaults of Plot Legend, Scale Legend, etc.

Unfortunately, this leaves you in the situation where you either have to write your own, or hope you can find one someone else has already written. You can check VIPM for similar stuff, or browse through posts on the UI Interest Group.  I've never run across one, but I've had some good luck there in the past.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(1,336 Views)

This actually one of the simplest reasonable requests and one of the hardest things to do right.

I often want to give my users not all, but some of the graph properties. This is hellish. To specify colors, simply use a color box. To specify line stile and width, with a graphical drop down menu, I'd advice to give up. It's a lot of hard work to get it to work in some circumstances, but to get it working in for instance for VIs in subpanels, and modal VIs, and floating VIs, it's near impossible. To get that menu as an sub item in a menu, even harder...

Sad, but true... 

Skip that, I should have looked at the image that you didn't embed.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(1,305 Views)

You can get that property page in and around "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 20xx\resource\PropertyPages\Pages".

As mentioned, it won't be fully functional during run time.  You'll probably need to tune so much it's not practical. It doesn't help that they are PW protected...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(1,302 Views)

Thanks all - I suspected I would not be able to access it, or not easily, but it was worth a try.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,297 Views)