LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AXIS 213 Camera

Hi,

I have the AXIS PTZ 213 Network camera and I want to know if it is compatible with NI Vision Builder for Automated Inspection.

And if it is compatible . How can I adquire images with this camera?

Thanks.
My e-mail is marc.capilla@gmail.com
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 32
(5,024 Views)
Hi,

I have the AXIS PTZ 213 Network camera and I want to know if it is compatible with NI Vision Builder for Automated Inspection.

And if it is compatible . How can I adquire images with this camera?

Thanks.
My e-mail is marc.capilla@gmail.com
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 32
(5,022 Views)
Hi Capi

Unfortunately I cannot tell you if Axis cameras are compatible with NI vision builder as I haven't tried it yet. However, I am currently working on a LabView acquisition software for an Axis 241Q server, so maybe you can be interested in this.

A simple way of acquiring images/movies from an axis camera is to use the activeX control provided by axis (axis media control SDK). it is available on this page (
http://www.axis.com/techsup/cam_servers/dev/activex.htm). In your front panel (after having installed the SDK), create a container for an activeX object ; then insert the AxisMediaControl class into the container. In doing that, you will have access to all properties and methods of the AMC class and therefore be able to control the camera.

In addition, take a look at the doc provided with the SDK, especially the file AmcDoc.chm... It is very useful.

Good luck with your work !!

Laurent Nguyen

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 32
(4,998 Views)

Hi Capri,

Vision Builder for Automated Inspection (VBAI) is designed to work with any NI frame grabber, GigE Vision or IEEE 1394 cameras, or the NI Compact Vision System. Since this the AXIS PTZ 213 is a network camera VBAI is not designed to interact with the camera directly.

An option is to pull an image into VBAI from LabVIEW using the "Run LabVIEW VI" step and run the inspection from there. Once you are able to acquire an image from this camera in LabVIEW follow these steps to bring the image into VBAI:

Create a VI that has an IMAQ display as a control and an indicator. The control is to create an input for VBAI to communicate and the indicator is the output of the image. Next, open VBAI and add the step for Simulate Acquisition. Then run this step by itself – this will create an error, ignore it and click ok. This step creates an image buffer for your AXIS image to fill. Next, include the Run LabVIEW VI step and choose the VI you created. In the setup pane on the right, select the VI Controls tab. Click the Configure button. Choose the IMAQ display control you created and select Use Measurement. Finally, select the Simulate Acquisition step from the list. From here on you should be able to pull images from LabVIEW into VBAI.

Does this help?

--Michelle

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 32
(4,985 Views)
Hello Michele,

First of all thanks everybody for all the propsed solutions.

I will try to do your solution.
But I haven't a lot of experience using LabView and NVAI.

If you give me your email I will can ask you some questions that I will have.

Thanks,

Marc.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 32
(4,977 Views)
Hi Marc,

It would be best if we kept this in the forum so that we can spread the knowledge. If you have any specific questions to your application you are welcome to ask them here. Since you are new to LabVIEW you may find the following KnowledgeBase helpful: How to Learn LabVIEW There are links to a three and six hour self-paced presentation with associated exercises and solutions. We also have training for our Vision software which can be found here: NI LabVIEW Machine Vision and Image Processing Course. There are many other resources on our website: KnowledgeBases, Tutorials, example code, Help documents that can get you going in the right direction.

If there is something I did not explain well in my last post I would be happy to clarify.

--Michelle

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 32
(4,945 Views)
Hi LoloN,

I am trying to do your solution with Labview and ActiveX controls, but I haven't much experience with Labview .

Do you can help me to do a simple application with Labview to controls the PTZ of the AXIS 213PTZ camera and to adquire the images of the camera.

If do you have a example or a application that it can help me please send it to me. marc.capilla@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Marc.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 32
(4,909 Views)
Hi Marc,

There are several documents and example code on ActiveX in LabVIEW. Here is brief overview of ActiveX and LabVIEW. In LabVIEW, there is an example called Slideshow.vi that uses ActiveX to open a Microsoft PowerPoint slide show. Another one called Excel Macro Example.vi creates a 2D array, passes it to Excel with ActiveX and runs a macro called GraphData. You can get to these examples opening the Help menu > Communicating with External Applications > ActiveX.
--Michelle

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 32
(4,880 Views)
Thanks Michelle I will see the it.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 32
(4,876 Views)
Hi Marc,

I have attached a small VI that performs acquisition from an Axis camera. I haven't tested it, so there might be a mistake or two, because I am working with a 241Q server for 4 cameras, so maybe the cgi requests are a bit different. You should check these requests in the documentation provided by Axis. However, this VI gives you an idea of how it works to control Axis cameras.

Do not hesitate to ask more questions if something isn't clear to you, I will make my possible to answer them.

Laurent Nguyen
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 32
(4,859 Views)