From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVI TO MPEG

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if I can save images in the mpeg4 format using LabVIEW and Vision. Currently, I can save the images in the avi format but it uses a lot of space in my hard disk.

I'd appreciate any help.

JC
Message 1 of 8
(6,006 Views)

Hi JCNT

The answer is yes if you have the required codec (mpeg4)  installed in your system. The following link explains the procedure.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/0A4D5BF47FD3FF0186256E9A004FD671?OpenDocument

I hope that helps,

KostasB

National Instruments

Applications Engineering

Message 2 of 8
(5,974 Views)
Hi KostasB,

Thanks for reply. Would you please tell me where I can find a codec (mpeg4) because I do not have it on my system. Also, I installed three avi compression filters (I think; however, I attached the images) but they don't appear when I use the IMAQ AVI get filters name.

Thanks again I hope you can help me.

JC
Message 3 of 8
(5,955 Views)

Hi,

An example is the ffdshow codec that I attached. After installing it, use the IMAQ get filter names to obtain the name for the decoder. It will ask you whether you will allow LabVIEW to use ffdshow( where you should click always). You can use the same procedure if you want to use different compressing tools.

Thanks,

KostasB

National Instruments

Applications Engineering 

Message 4 of 8
(5,928 Views)
Hi KostasB,

Thanks for your reply and the ffdshow codec. I installed it and run the IMAQ get filters and as you said it asked to use ffdshow and I selected always use but after that I didn't get anything in the filter names. I've restarted my computer but it hasn't worked either (I attached a picture) and the IMAQ get filter names doesn't ask to use the ffdshow anymore. I uninstalled Vision and installed again and IMAQ get filters asked to use ffdshow and chose always but i didn't get any filters name again.

Thanks again for your help and I'd appreciatte any advice.

JC
Message 5 of 8
(5,896 Views)
Hi KostasB,

As I said I selected ffdshow when LabVIEW asked it. Also ffdshow included LabVIEW in the video and audio decoder configuration. I attach two pictures what I said.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

JC 
Download All
Message 6 of 8
(5,874 Views)

By the way I have LabVIEW 8.5 and Vision 8.5.0(evaluation software). Does this problem happen because of my LabVIEW or Vision version?or because of the DirectX version?

Thanks so much.

JC

Message 7 of 8
(5,873 Views)

Hi everyone,

I solved my problem, I installed LabVIEW 8.0 and everything works. Maybe LabVIEW 8.5 is not installed correctly.

Regards,

JC

Message 8 of 8
(5,830 Views)