LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACS550 control with LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, I would be glad to help you and show my programs as examples.  

I have written a bunch of different programs to interface with the drive.  I am using the drive to control a wind tunnel therefore, I have programs to start/stop the drive, increase the rpm, decrease the rpm, one that does all of this continuously based on the mach number, and many more. 

Therefore, if you can give me a little more info about what your using the drive for and how you want to control it with LabVIEW I will be able to help more.  Also, in order to get the drive to work the way I needed it to, I had to change parameters in the drives settings.  Have you changed anything?

- Alex

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 28
(2,216 Views)

Hello!

Thank you fore your answer.

I am going to use the ACS550 to control a electric motor which is turning a small combustion engine in different RPM:s, the combustion engine will not have any ignition so it will only be as a load on the electric motor. The tings I need to be able to do is as follows.

1. Start stop

2. Set different RPM

3. Increase and decrease RPM

4. Make RPM sweeps

I have the manual for ACS 550 so I hope it's reasonably easy to set it up, it is brad new unit out of the store so nothing have bean changed except that I did a test run with it, but all tips are welcome.

I haven't bought any DAQ card yet and I understand that it's a jungle out there with them and it depends on if I want to do some thing else with the card because this application don't need anything fast and fancy, but it still would be interesting to know what kind of DAQ card are you using? Do you use it for a lot of other things?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 28
(2,205 Views)

Hello,

sorry for the delay as I have been really busy at work..

The first step I would take is changing the macro of the drive.  This information starts around page 75 in the manual.  I currently use the macro found on pg. 77.  This changes what the presets are for the digital inputs.  Look through those pages and see what macro will be best for you (start, stop, speed up, speed down, constant speed, etc..).  It also says how to change it in there.  Once you configure the different inputs on the drive it is pretty easy to control from there.  You just have to send a digital signal to an input to activate that control. Read through the manaul and see what you want to change.  You can also manually change what an input does by changing the parameters on the drive, or set limits like max RPM, or constant speeds.

The drive only looks to see if there is a 0 or 24v signal at the input.  Therefore, if you want to start the drive you would have to supply 24v to the corresponding digital input.  I use the DAQ NI 6211 (This was installed when I started the project).  This is also used for many other things.  I cant offer much advice as to what DAQ would be best.  The issue I had with mine is the digital output was only 5v, so I had to use a relay to get the voltage up to 24v for the drive to recognize it.

Let me know when you get a DAQ and the drive set up and I can help you with the code if you need it.

-Alex

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 28
(2,186 Views)

Hello,

Did anyone get the program to exactly figure this out? I have been trying a lot and not able to figure out some things, it would be good if someone could share their VI.

Please help me out

I am trying to control an ABB ACS 880 drive. I guess i can get some idea from your program to build one my own.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 28
(1,939 Views)

I know this is late, but I just had to do this and it was a major pain and took forever. I wrote a blog post about some of the finer detiails you can find here:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/blogs/DavidGrimm/2016/09/15/abb-vfd-control-and-monitoring-via-modbus

Here's the VI I used, good luck!

Message 15 of 28
(1,910 Views)

Hey,

Could you please upload these sub- VI`s as well?

When i try opening the VI you sent, it is asking me for these.

1)Create TCP master

2)Create Modbus Instance

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 28
(1,890 Views)

It would be much better if you got then from the Modbus library. I'm not at my computer right now, so I don't have a link, but if you search for labview modbus library, it should come up. Download and install it using the VI Package Manager, I believe. Does that make sense?

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 28
(1,888 Views)

Sure, It does.

I will try to get them myself. If i can not find, ill let you know.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 28
(1,886 Views)

Here is the library:

http://www.ni.com/example/29756/en/

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 28
(1,882 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for your messages. I am trying to control ABB ACS 800 drive using labview. I am only interested in controlling the speed. Firstly, I cannot open your VI, since it is written in 2016 version and I have 2014 version. Is it possible to save as 2014 version and share with me ?

Secondly, Did you use PLC as hardware for programming along with Labview ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 28
(1,742 Views)