LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A basic problem with FPGA Module ...

I just watched the NI website of the LabVIEW FPGA module where it
shows how you can download an application directly onto a target (NI)
FPGA board (CompactRIO or something like this )...
Anyone know if we can download it onto a non-NI board?
NI boards are expensive for a student.
Is there a non-NI, equivalent and low cost board that LabVIEW support it ?
For example can we use a simple generic parallel-jtag or usb-jtag programmer ?
I have a low cost Training Board of Xilinx SPARTANII PRO FPGA which programmed with a simple parallel-jtag programmer and IMPACT software from Xilinx.
Excuse me for my poor english !

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,718 Views)

Currently the LabVIEW FPGA Module can only target National Instruments' own FPGA products.  Therefore there isn't a driver that will support other boards with FPGA's. 

If you are at a university that has a site license for the FPGA module, the following might be of interest to you:

Quote from the license agreement:
...INSTALLATION AND USE OF THE LABVIEW FPGA TARGET MODULE FOR THE XILINX SPARTAN-3E STARTER BOARD (THE “TARGET MODULE”) IS LIMITED TO ACADEMIC INSTITUTIONS THAT HAVE A VALID, CURRENT “ACADEMIC TEACHING LICENSE” FROM NATIONAL INSTRUMENTS FOR THE LABVIEW FPGA MODULE. THIS TARGET MODULE MAY ONLY BE USED FOR INSTRUCTIONAL PURPOSES, SUBJECT TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE NATIONAL INSTRUMENTS SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT THAT ACCOMPANIES THE SOFTWARE...

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,713 Views)

Thank you
And what about LabVIEW Embedded Module for ARM Microcontrollers ??
Is there same limitation ?

Message Edited by mostafi on 03-14-2010 06:57 AM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,707 Views)

The LabVIEW Embedded Module for ARM Microcontrollers can be used to program over 260 ARM7, ARM9, and Cortex-M3 based devices only. Not sure if that's relevant to the original question you asked. To find out more about the list of ARM devices that are supported:

ARM Devices Supported by LabVIEW

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,703 Views)
NI Digital Electronics FPGA Board 781025-01 = $249

http://www.ni.com/pdf/products/us/cat_defpga.pdf
Message Edited by jcarmody on 03-14-2010 04:56 PM
Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,685 Views)
Hi Adnan Zafar. Thanks for your reply.
No.My question is not about supported ARM devices list. My question is about Boards and Programmers and Debuggers and something like these tools which was supported by LabVIEW Embedded Module for ARM Microcontrollers.
In other word is there same limitation as LabVIEW FPGA Module in these cases (Boards and Tools) ?
For example can we use simple H-jtag or FlashMagic or SAM-BA programmers or any customized Boards ... ??
No limitation ??
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,656 Views)

Hi Mostafi,

When using LabVIEW for ARM, the microcontrollers are typically programmed through JTAG. For specific ARM device support, you can take a look at the here: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/7066

Regards,

Will S.

NIC-AE 

Will
CLA, CLED, CTD, CPI
LabVIEW Champion
Choose Movement Consulting
choose-mc.com
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,626 Views)