From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8.6.1 HELP and TOOLS->OPTIONS not working

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,  after installing 8.6.1 I'm not able to access help for any function, except on tookit functions.  The context help works, but there is no detailed help (except Toolkit functions).  If I access LabVIEW help, the window shows the tree on the right, but when I click on any of the items no help appears in the window on the right.

Also when I click on tools->options it searches for <helpdir>\_launchhelp.vi which it never finds, so I cannot change any of LabVIEW's options either.

I installed using the Developer Suite DVD's, I do not think there was an explicit option to select Help.  I installed to D:\program files, would it be an issue if you don't install to C:?

I uninstalled previous versions before installing 8.6.1. 

Any ideas? 

Message Edited by AnthonV on 05-20-2009 03:00 AM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,821 Views)
An update - it is not only Tools->options that doesn't work - none of the Tools menu items work - they are all looking for the _Launchhelp.vi file.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,812 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AnthonV

Hello,

It seems you're installation in corrupt to some extent.

You can repair you're installation by going to: Control panel->Software->National Instruments. Then you get a dialog in which you can select LabVIEW 8.6.1 and REPAIR.

If it still doesn't work, you can always contact your local sales office for support.

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
Message 3 of 5
(2,800 Views)

I second what Andre said. If that doesn't work, you may need a full uninstall then reinstall.

Ensure you install the products in the correct order, as well. Check out this KB on it: Order of Installation for Multiple National Instruments Hardware and Software Products.

Jeff | LabVIEW Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,730 Views)

Thanks Andre, I only chose to fix LabVIEW 8.6.1 from the long National Instruments list in Add/Remove Programs and this fixed it.  Originally I didn't have much choice in the order of installing software as everything is much more automatic these days (when using the 5 white DVDs), so I don't think I installed anything in the wrong order.

It was good having a day off though - but now it is back to work... 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,718 Views)