Did you mean: 

3d sound example

Does anyone have a *.vi that demonstrates 3D sound using Labview?  Regards, SS

Message Edited by ShotSimon on 03-21-2008 10:59 AM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(4,686 Views)

Stupid question, but I am curious.

As someone who lost all of his hearing in one ear and most in the other as an infant, I have never experienced "3D sound".

What is "3D sound"?

Is it anything like 3D images?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(4,662 Views)
Ben,

You can check out this wikipedia for a clear explanation:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_audio_effect

For example both DirectX and OpenGL support it for games.  I was wondering if someone had something simple to demonstrate the technique.  For example you play a sound file with head phones and make the sound move to the right, to the left, and behind with the click of a mouse. 

I have some VRML files ( I wrote 8 yrs ago) that plays the nightrider theme in a scale model prowler that drives around post processed GPS data on Terraserver data (Think B/W google maps with a real car model).   As the car drives by you the effect is that the car is coming closer and then going away.  These effect are all defined in the 3D scene object and played back using OpenGL/DirectX within a VRML player known as Cosmo Player.  I have not had much luck with the Labview 3D picture control and don't know if it supports 3D sound.

Again It doesn't have to be this fancy.

In Direct 3D I believe 3D sound is known as DirectSound as mentioned in the wiki.  There are embedded libraries for some mobile devices such as OpenAL.

Regards,

SS 

Message 3 of 18
(4,655 Views)

Hi SS,

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any examples that demonstrate this concept. 

However, in case you have not seen it already, I wanted to mention that LabVIEW includes a VI called Load VRML File that may help with your application. 

Best of luck,

Jennifer R.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(4,630 Views)

Is there documentation stating what is supported under the Load VRML File for LV8.5?  I remember seeing issues on the forums and was under the impression that it did not fully support VRML97:  www.web3d.org/x3d/specifications/vrml/

For the section regarding sound see:  www.web3d.org/x3d/specifications/vrml/ISO-IEC-14772-VRML97/part1/nodesRef.html#Sound

I was just using the example of previous work that I had done to illustrate that this is not a new idea.

For those who are interested there is some good information regarding OpenAL along with very good examples.  You can install the SDK which creates a LabVIEW type experience albeit in C but gives the look and feel of what I would like to create with Labview. 

OpenAL looks to be maintained by Creative and has already been implemented in many games and applications:  www.openal.org/

I plan on trying to use the OpenAL32.dll to port to my application.  Please feel free to share if someone has already done this.

Regards,

SS

Message Edited by ShotSimon on 03-25-2008 11:01 AM

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(4,616 Views)
Hi SS,

LabVIEW supports VRML 97 and ASCII STL files.  Other formats such as binary STL, VRML 1.0, and VRML 2.0 will cause Error 1501.
Jennifer R.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(4,585 Views)
Jennifer,

Are you sure it supports sound?  Regards, SS

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(4,575 Views)
Hi SS,

The Load VRML File VI is designed for use with 3D Picture Controls.  The LabVIEW SceneObject does not include any properties or methods related to sound, so that may not be your best option. 

I hope you have success with the OpenAL dll. 

Regards,

Jennifer R.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(4,554 Views)

I need help getting the OpenAL library ported to LabVIEW, and decided to reach out to people in the LabVIEW forums. 

If you are interested see the following article:http://www.devmaster.net/articles.php?catID=6

I would be happy if I could get examples 1) and 2) working.  I had no problems getting this running in C or Java since all the work is already done:)

1)  If you are interested go here:  http://www.openal.org/downloads.html

2)  Download and install the OpenAL 1.1 SDK for Windows, this will install the sdk and put the OpenAL32.dll in C:\WINDOWS\system32\OpenAL32.dll

3)  Download the OpenAL Source (tar.gz format; February 11, 2006)

I was able to get the dll to build by concatenating the two header files (\openal-0.0.8\common\include\AL, al.h and alc.h into one file.

There are Dev-C++, Visual C++ 6.0, Java source code and project files at the bottom of the sample programs.  Most of my examples I run in Dev C++ which is located here:   http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html.   I was able to run the java examples as well.

Regards,

SS

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(4,457 Views)
Hi SS,

There are several options when calling a DLL from LabVIEW, including the Import Shared Library Wizard and the Call Library Function Node.  The Wizard, located under Tools»Import»Shared Library (.dll), is often easier but does not allow complex data types. 
Jennifer R.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(4,412 Views)