LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D surface layer plotting

Hi All,

I got help from you guys a couple of weeks ago about making a 3D array, and that was a success, but now i am at another stumbling stone. i am trying to take that array (x, y, z coordinates) and plot the x and y coordinates on a plane with the z plane taking a 4th variable (a measurement, not the z coordinate, there will be a plane for each z axis coordinate). the 3D surface tool however puzzles me, it wants into the x and y field a vector and into the z field a two-dimensional array. Can i plot a surface (in real time) by taking in measurements and assigning them to a precalculated x/y grid? I am not sure on how to go about doing that, so if you guys have input/tips/hints, that would be great!

thanks!
Marko
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,581 Views)
ok, so i figured out how i want it to happen. here is a basic vi that i built to test it. Now my problem with this one is that the first time i ran it, it built me a mesh, but after closing it and opening it again it just plots points? I can't figure it out for the life of me.
see the attachment rand3DplotTest.vi for that.

Now my second dilemma is, i am not getting the 3D graphing functionality in my main vi that I am trying to build. When i build it, it calculates the array, and starts taking measurements. The problem that I am running into is that as I send in the updated vectors (like i would in the rand3DplotTest.vi, except real numbers this time), the 3D graph stays blank! see arrayTestAndMeasure3D.vi for that. I even tried copying and pasting the rand3DplotTest into the main vi at the same place and it still didnt work... Only thing that I can think of is I have too much stuff in one .vi?

I think labview doesnt like me being in school on a sunday...

cheers for any help!
Marko
PS. i am using LabView 7.1

Message Edited by estomax on 07-20-2008 02:58 PM
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,548 Views)

Not sure why the plot style changed.

You can progamatically set all of the properties.

See this thread for an example were I show how to work with many properties using multiple plot various plot styles.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,518 Views)
Hey Ben,

thanks for the reply, there is a lot of information in that thread but i'm not sure if it quite solves the issue i'm having. Is it necessary to add a whole lot of variables like you are adding to solve this issue ? (i dont care for transparency and color map honestly)

thanks and bump,
Marko
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,496 Views)

No just pick the parts you want and use those. That was a "worse case" example.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,487 Views)