From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D object scanner

Hi guys, I am a PhD student and interested in 3D laser scanning of objects using NI Labview.

I saw this interesting video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmfwPXYO5vM

i am bit confused what all the hardware will I need to order from NI keeping aside the stepper motors, 

Suggestions much appreciated.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,868 Views)

It depends on the scanner.  It is unlikely that you will be using stepper motors.  Laser scanheads usually use galvonometers and servo drivers to control the beam.  There are a couple of standard laser interfaces that control the servos (XY2-100) and laser power (IPG, SPI).  Or, you could just use DAQ cards to do it yourself.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,853 Views)

HI I was confused between which NI board should I use in interface with Labview?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,841 Views)

Thanks for the reply

Is it possible for u to watch that video on youtube which I haev posted.

I am thinking of using Microtrak Laser II. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,840 Views)

That particular demo, as it says in the video, was done with an X-series DAQ device.  The particular X-series device you choose will depend on what motors and lasers you pick. If you want even more control (and more cost), consider one of the FPGA devices.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,826 Views)

I can't watch YouTube at work but I'll try to remember to check it out at home. 

The MicroTrak looks like a laser vibrometer, not a scanner.  You can't control the beam on these devices.You would have to move the whole MicroTrak or your target to 'scan' anything.

Tell us a little more about your actual application if you would...

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,817 Views)

I want to scan some parts on human body i m sure microtrak would do it for me.

But i m confused what all the hardware components will I have to order in order in conjunction with the labview software, to make this as it is shown in the video.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,810 Views)

OK, I just watched the video on my phone.  Your answer is...  ANY multi-function DAQ card will work just fine for you. 

They were collecting at 4KHz, 16-bit (X-series) to get whatever image resolution they got.  Even the cheapest $99 Multi-Func DAQs have one channel of analog in and digital IO so even if you buy a 1KHz 12-bit card it will still work fine but you'll have to spin your model and move the stage slower to get similar resolution. I would recomment the X-series as they're the best price/performance DAQ products NI offers since they're the newest models.  I have a USB6351 on my bench and it's an excellent product although a bit overkill for your app.  If cost is an issue look into the USB 6008(or 9) modules.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,805 Views)

Woah, wait a minute!  "Parts on the human body"???  Are you going to cut the parts off so you can spin them on a stage?  Again, you have to move something in a VERY controlled manner.  Either the beam or the part you're scanning has to move in a predictable way or you can't create a 3D image.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,803 Views)

I am not gonna spin the parts. I am planning to project a controlled beam on a localised and exposed parts intraoperatively. Hence I am not much interested in motors but in NI board. 

So my question is which NI DAQ board should be used.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,801 Views)