LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D graph constant fast draw

Hi all,

I've been searching for days a solution to my issue (and it's one of the kind that gets you crazy...).

I have a 2D depth array and 2D infrared intensity array, both of the same room.

I then use a 3d graph through "create_plot_parametric.vi" cause it allows me to input 2D array of X, Y, Z, plus a color matrix.

The result is perfect, but only when i move the camera (or simply click the graph).

This is because i desactivated surface drawing, so that the result is plenty of black dots (set to size 5), while when i click on it,

it uses Fast Draw fonction, and gives me the same points but colored like I want. 

How can i make that state of the grapg last forever, so that i can be in this mode for real-time display, and start recording movies of the scene?

(In the provided image, left is the normal state, right one is when I click on the graph).

Please Help

Config: LabVIEW 2017 Pro, Windows 10 64bits

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,762 Views)

You'll have to post some code.

We can guess your setup, but will probably end up with not having the problem, or having completely different code.

Make the simplest possible VI that demonstrates the problem, and post that.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,761 Views)

Thanks for the fast answer.

Yes sorry, here it is. What's arround doesn't really matter (2 subVIs), but just execute it, and you'll see black dots on the graph,

which turn into a nice color when you click the graph/move the camera.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,758 Views)

One thing that is wrong, is that your color scale is from -3947 to -3600. The values reach from -3947 to +3600.

Cool stuff, BTW.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,743 Views)

I know, but that's to highlight more objects. Anyway, color scale is not my issue here.

I just don't want only black points, I want this color all the time, even when i don't click the graph.

Is there a way?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,733 Views)

@gule wrote:

I know, but that's to highlight more objects. Anyway, color scale is not my issue here.

I just don't want only black points, I want this color all the time, even when i don't click the graph.

Is there a way?

To be honest, I have no idea what exactly is wrong.

I'm pretty sure it's lightning that's wrong. When you rotate, the lightning will switch off (or something like that), because it's faster. Then you get the object colors. If not, you get a lighted scene, but apparently there are no lights? Something like that.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,723 Views)

The issue comes from the intrinsect behavior of 3d graphs which is based on drawing surfaces.

This graph would normaly try to draw a surface between point (see my new image), in my case, a line from (X,Y,Z)=(0,0,0) to each other

coordinate points, as you can see it's ugly...but properly colored.

When rotating camera with fast draw activated, labview avoids drawing surface while moving to speed up the process, then i see the end of line

points properly colored (that's what i want).

If in graph property, I disable surface (as you can see in my new picture), then only remains the end points all in same black color (this point color and size can be set up in the next tab "overlay" of 3d graph property. In this situation, moving the camera also uses fast drawing resulting in points being properly colored.

So, it looks like the whole behavior is understandable and that i'm not using the right graph (surface colored) for what i need (points colored),

but seing the perfect result it gives when i move the camera tells me LabVIEW can do it, but I can't find the right property.

(again, if you execute my VI, it's all black, then play with the graph cliking and releasing, you will see my issue)

I hope i'm being precise enough, i found a similar topic from 2014 that remained unanswered:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-does-the-coloring-of-the-points-in-a-3D-graph-work/td-p/3011093

Please help or advice me another graph type, it feels like I'm super close....but not

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,716 Views)

That's exactly my thought.

I even have a faint recollection of having this discussion before. I'll have to dig.

Worse case, you can go commando and use a "raw" 3D picture control. Less graph properties (axis etc.), more work, but full control.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,708 Views)