From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Picture Control clipping error; Appliing a single 50kb texture to one box drops framerate from 60FPS to 1FPS

My 3D Picture control code ran well for quite some time now until suddenly the framrate dropped down to ~1FPS. I rebootet and the bug was gone just to appear again some time later. In all cases without me changing the respective code (as far as i know). Now it seems persistent. I scrolled back a few weeks through my code repository and the bug now also occures in old code versions where im sure that it did not happen before.

During the investigation i disabled the textures and noticed that there is a depth check bug as well. In theese pictures http://imgur.com/a/3THva you see from top to bottom.:

1) picture taken from the side, green and red objects clearly hover over the brown box (sized like sheet of paper with hight = 1)

2) properties for each object in the scene

3) picture taken from below the brown box - the red and green objects should not be visible (behind the brown box from this perspective). The visibility of the red and green objects through the brown box depends on the viewing angle. It seems that some of the triangles of the brown box sometimes do and sometimes dont block line of sight - they appear more or less cut off. Cut off parts eigther are fully visible or not at all (no alpha blending between states).

After some hours of investigation i come to believe that its eigther a GPU (GTX 1070) or a driver problem (NVIDIA 376.53 - newest as of today) or does anyone have some other suggestions?

The main two points are:

- Why is a single 50kb texture applied to the brown box and looking ok bringing the framerate down from 60 to ~1 FPS?

- Why is the brown box not fully opaque? (i triied using Blending.Mode = On as well.)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,284 Views)

i replaced the GPU from GTX 1070 to Quadro 5000 which solved the slow FPS while using textures bug and large parts of the clipping. Clipping still occures but is related to the thickness of the foreground object now. There is some kind of bug in the interaction of 3D picture control with GTX1070.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,270 Views)