From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Web UI Builder and Data Dashboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deploying web services on a remote machine

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

Which is the best and fast way to deploy webservices for WEB UI builder on a remote machine, where there is no development environment but only LV runtime?

(in the case I have to frequently modify  the vi I use to create webservice and deploy it on a remote machine)

Is it necessary to create an installer with the WS included? Is  still necessary  in LV2012 to use labview.ini and niwebserver.conf to make the webservices run on remote machine, as is written on the following knowledge paper regarding LV2009?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/62B9C2D5C91EE8B28625778800609FF2

I notice that there is in the folder:

C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\WebServices\aws

the webservice deployed with the VIs that are used to make it run.

Is not possible to copy only the VI in that folder when I modify the vi used by the webservice, instead of making every time the installer and the whole procedure on the knowledge i linked above?

thanks a lot

Steven

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(8,985 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author slashmad82

Hi Steven,

The best way to install a Web Service on a remote machine is to use an installer.  The reason being that, the Web Service will be compiled and the installer will place the complied VIs and associated configuration files in the correct location. If you were to place a VI from the development environment into the aws folder it would not work correctly.  Any process used other than an installer is also considered unsupported by NI.

Regards,

Mike Altmann
Product R&D
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(8,959 Views)

Hi,

Thanks Mike.

So is it really necessary to update every time also the webUI project, if I upgrade the webservices?

In your opinion the right/fast procedure for upgrade a webservice on remote machine where I have already deployed a previous version of that WS, and make it visible on web page built with web UI builder is the following?:

-create the new VI I use for web services purpose.

-deploy it on development machine

-modify the web UI builder project, to update WS library in it.

-download the .zip project

-unzip the project in autopopulating folder of the labview project.

-modify the installer with the new webservices, and the new .html/.xap files

-download and install the installer on remote machine

Thanks for support

Steven

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(8,947 Views)

Hi Steven,

Yes, in my opinion that is the best way to accomplish what your are trying.  It's not the fastest but it is the correct way as well as the only way that we test and support.

Updating the Web UI project is only necessary if you change how the method is interacted with.  For example, if you change how your code in the method works but leave your Connector Pane and VI name the same you shouldn't have to update Web UI builder.  If you change one of those parameters then Web UI builder will have to be updated to know how to correctly interact with the web method.

Regards,

Mike Altmann
Product R&D
NI
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(8,927 Views)

hi Mike,

Thank you for support.

I'll do it in that way. 

best regards

Steven