LabVIEW Public Beta Program in 2023

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Feature: Multiple Animation Speeds for Execution Highlighting

LabVIEW 2023 Q3 introduces Slow, Medium, Fast, and Very Fast options for the speed of Execution Highlighting. Medium speed matches the behavior of Execution Highlighting in previous versions.

To change the speed, click and hold the Execution Highlighting button in the VI toolbar to display a menu of speed options. 

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
Message 1 of 13
(2,525 Views)

@Christina_R wrote:

LabVIEW 2023 Q3 introduces Slow, Medium, Fast, and Very Fast options for the speed of Execution Highlighting. Medium speed matches the behavior of Execution Highlighting in previous versions.

To change the speed, click and hold the Execution Highlighting button in the VI toolbar to display a menu of speed options. 

A request from 15 years ago!  I wonder if Torben is still a LV user.  Now for the second part of selecting a section of a diagram and only highlighting that.  See suggestions:

http://info-labview.org/ILVMessages/2007/08/21/Info-LabVIEW_Digest_2007-08-21_002.html

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

Message 2 of 13
(2,434 Views)

@sth wrote:
Now for the second part of selecting a section of a diagram and only highlighting that.

This can be accomplished in LabVIEW 2019 and later with the Toggle Execution Highlighting custom probe.

Message 3 of 13
(2,400 Views)

Love the new Execution Highlighting rendering!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(2,345 Views)

@_Chris wrote:

Love the new Execution Highlighting rendering!

Agreed.  It just makes it more obvious that a wire has already ran.

My only gripe so far is the discoverability of the different speeds.  How common is a click and hold?  It is a first for LabVIEW.  I know Android has a few options that are equivalent to click and hold.  I just think a right-click would be a lot more discoverable.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 13
(2,305 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

My only gripe so far is the discoverability of the different speeds.  How common is a click and hold?  It is a first for LabVIEW. 

Soooo... funny thing about that. In previous versions, you could click and hold the Step Out button for some options. But that was really, really hard to discover. At least now we have the corner mark to hint when toolbar buttons can do something special!

Ideally, we'd change the button to have a drop-down menu next to it, but we're not planning to implement that for this release.

Christina Rogers
Message 6 of 13
(2,299 Views)

@Christina_R wrote:
Soooo... funny thing about that. In previous versions, you could click and hold the Step Out button for some options. But that was really, really hard to discover. At least now we have the corner mark to hint when toolbar buttons can do something special!

Ideally, we'd change the button to have a drop-down menu next to it, but we're not planning to implement that for this release.

Well, I learned something today.  I went ahead to tried some old versions and the Step Out feature is there at least as far back as 8.2.1.  And the click and hold on the Step Out is still there in this Beta, but the little filled corner was added just like the highlight execution button.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(2,293 Views)

Hi Christina

My review of Highlight Execution: Highlight Execution 

Key takeaways:

• Love the new style!
  • Changing the speed whilst running is possible for fast and very fast, but trickey/doesn't work for the slower speeds
  • A couple of times, the VI would be running with the icon illuminated, but the diagram wouldn't be animated. However, it would start working again if you uncheck and check the icon again.
Message 8 of 13
(2,241 Views)

@McQuillan wrote:
  • Changing the speed whilst running is possible for fast and very fast, but trickey/doesn't work for the slower speeds
  • A couple of times, the VI would be running with the icon illuminated, but the diagram wouldn't be animated. However, it would start working again if you uncheck and check the icon again.

Thank you for the feedback! I've created Bug 2372132 for the problems you reported.

Christina Rogers
Message 9 of 13
(2,216 Views)

Hi,

nice updates.

How do you think about a possibility that the highlight of a wire always takes a fixed time independent of the length (e.g., 1 second).

Usually, I have rather short wires, but sometimes there is 1 wire quite long and we have to wait until its highlight is done ...