LabVIEW Project Providers

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valid values for CreateNewWizardHost?

What are valid values for CreateNewWizardHost (a parameter in the GProvider INI file) other than Build and Source?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,547 Views)

Hey Jack,

As far as I know, these are the only two supported values.  Is there somewhere else you'd like to add a New Wizard host that isn't supported by either Build or Source?

David

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,513 Views)

David_L wrote:

Is there somewhere else you'd like to add a New Wizard host that isn't supported by either Build or Source?

This is part of a larger investigation on the capabilities of Project Providers and the ability to create more 'fundamental' ProjectItem types -- more details here: https://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/17342

A third option that I'm interested in is Root (in addition to Build and Source) that could hook into the New... menu of the Root:

NewRootItem.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,513 Views)

I just found out that "System" is also a valid value for CreateNewWizardHost. It seems to be adding an entry at the top-level as in your screenshot above, but exactly how the item added behaves I am not sure. I will try to find more information on this, meanwhile I thought I will share this and see if this works for your use case. Hope this helps.

Sumedha

Sumedha Ganjoo | LabVIEW R&D
Message 4 of 7
(3,513 Views)

Sumedha wrote:

I just found out that "System" is also a valid value for CreateNewWizardHost. It seems to be adding an entry at the top-level as in your screenshot above, but exactly how the item added behaves I am not sure. I will try to find more information on this, meanwhile I thought I will share this and see if this works for your use case. Hope this helps.

Specifying CreateNewWizardHost=System looked quite promising and got me super-excited:

Exciting.png

And then, the new item was created inside My Computer 😞

LetDown.png

Any ideas on how to get a "top-level" or "root-level" item such as this?

Top-Level-Item.png

By the way, even though it's one step forward one step back, I'm excited to be building on this tribal knowledge of Providers and *really* appreciative for the research you're doing.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,513 Views)

JackDunaway wrote:

And then, the new item was created inside My Computer 😞

Agh! Sorry about that.

JackDunaway wrote:

Any ideas on how to get a "top-level" or "root-level" item such as this?

We haven't yet found a way to do this using providers, but we will keep investigating and let you know if we find anything.

JackDunaway wrote:

By the way, even though it's one step forward one step back, I'm excited to be building on this tribal knowledge of Providers and *really* appreciative for the research you're doing.

Likewise! Thanks for all your work and research with the providers, it's helped us expand our knowledge of the framework as well

Related to your original question, another value that we found is valid for CreateNewWizardHost key is "FileNewDialog".

All credit goes to David for concluding correctly that this must be adding a new item to the File -> New Dialog.

Sumedha

Sumedha Ganjoo | LabVIEW R&D
Message 6 of 7
(3,513 Views)

Sumedha wrote:

another value that we found is valid for CreateNewWizardHost key is "FileNewDialog".

All credit goes to David for concluding correctly that this must be adding a new item to the File -> New Dialog.

That's fantastic! You've doubled the number of known values in a few days! 🙂

CreateNewWizardHost can be: Source, Build, System, or FileNewDialog

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,513 Views)