LabVIEW Project Providers

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programmatically reload Project Providers?

I'm gonna regret saying this but I think the restart LabVIEW action is something VIPM needs to handle for the package developer. If you are installing several packages and each one requires LabVIEW restart, it could get crazy messy for the end user.

One solution would be to set a flag in the package building process that VIPM reads during install. Then VIPM can do a single restart at the end of the install process.

Another solution is for VIPM to interrogate if the package is a project provider and does the LabVIEW restart for that condition.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(1,885 Views)

Michael_Aivaliotis wrote:

One solution would be to set a flag in the package building process that VIPM reads during install. Then VIPM can do a single restart at the end of the install process

Another solution is for VIPM to interrogate if the package is a project provider and does the LabVIEW restart for that condition.

I think it's up to the packager to decide if a restart is needed. Adding a check for project provider is nice, but it's only one usecase - I'd like the option of forcing a restart (I don't have an immediate need, but I can see where it would be useful, especially when using VIPM to install more than just LabVIEW code).

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(1,885 Views)

Michael_Aivaliotis wrote:

I'm gonna regret saying this but I think the restart LabVIEW action is something VIPM needs to handle for the package developer. If you are installing several packages and each one requires LabVIEW restart, it could get crazy messy for the end user.

One solution would be to set a flag in the package building process that VIPM reads during install. Then VIPM can do a single restart at the end of the install process.

Another thing for consideration: I used the word "tinkered" above with the post-install step for good reason -- when calling "App.Restart", my first experience was the scary dialog that says something like "Warning, quitting will abort running VIs", and this technical hurdle appeared much higher than what I'm wanting to jump right now (not to mention, right now I don't want to try to consider the ramifications of bailing on LV while VIPM is doing stuffs with it).

Building the "Must Restart" feature into VIPB seems reasonable; I had not even considered the case of installing multiple (or chained) packages. And agreed with crelf it's the package designer's decision to explicitly check or not check this option; no need to "auto-detect"

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(1,885 Views)

JackDunaway wrote:

It's arguably the end-users who benefit more -- so this is not just for developers on the LabVIEW Tools Network, it's for users also (which is a few orders of magnitude greater).

This is a good point, the end user would benefit from it, but I also think that they would have no idea that they benefit from it.  If an idea exchange post asked for "reload project providers", any user of <insert favorite provider product> would not neccessarily even know that the product uses project providers, much less that it should be reloaded.  On the other hand, having an idea exhange post that says "Allow <insert favorite provider product> to reload without restarting LabVIEW", the scope of the audience very small.  But I suppose there's no harm in trying...

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(1,885 Views)

I think this one is the better solution.  Leave it up to the developer to decide if they want to restart or not instead of detecting a project provider and forcing it on them.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(1,885 Views)
Christopher Relf wrote:
I'd like the option of forcing a restart

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.  How many times have you lost work due to forced restarts from Windows Updates?  As a developer, I want complete control over when LV shuts down.  I often leave projects open for days at a time--it helps me keep track of what I was working on at the end of my last coding session.  Forcing a restart is terribly inconvenient.  I either have to interrupt my workflow and restart LV or wait until I'm ready to close LV before installing the package.  I'd much rather have a dialog box notifying me LV must be restarted before the package will work.  That way I can install the package whenever I want and restart LV when I'm ready.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(1,885 Views)

@Daklu wrote:

@christopher Relf wrote:

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

I take "Forcing a restart" semantically as "Pop up a dialog that says 'Restart Now' or 'Manually Restart Later'", not literally "LabVIEW's unconditionally going down right now". Plus if the "Restart Required" flag were embedded into the VIP, it could somehow be displayed on the Product Info dialog prior to installing the package.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(1,885 Views)

David_L wrote:

JackDunaway wrote:

It's arguably the end-users who benefit more -- so this is not just for developers on the LabVIEW Tools Network, it's for users also (which is a few orders of magnitude greater).

This is a good point, the end user would benefit from it, but I also think that they would have no idea that they benefit from it.

The definition of a delightful UX And widening the funnel to engaged users. The first few minutes with a software product are the most critical.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(1,885 Views)

@Daklu wrote:

@christopher Relf wrote:

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.  How many times have you lost work due to forced restarts from Windows Updates?.

Um, never.

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(1,885 Views)

@JackDunaway wrote:

@Daklu wrote:

@christopher Relf wrote:

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

I take "Forcing a restart" semantically as "Pop up a dialog that says 'Restart Now' or 'Manually Restart Later'", not literally "LabVIEW's unconditionally going down right now". Plus if the "Restart Required" flag were embedded into the VIP, it could somehow be displayed on the Product Info dialog prior to installing the package.

Right - I can't think of any time in recent memory were I've actually been *forced* to restart before I was allowed to do anything else (eg: save my work). So, yes, what Jack said.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(1,885 Views)