From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Interface for Arduino Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LIFA - Ethernet

Alsiddartha,

That is because I tried to release it when it was generic - quite horribly as I've mentioned in the past several times, with me asking for help for ways to release the code with no one helping me - and now its too propriatary to release to the general public. 

Also,

Nathan_B and I have both advocated using LINX instead. 

Again,

Nathan_B is the creator of LIFA and he supports it.  Not me.  If he says use LINX, use LINX. 

I didn't figure out how to release it and no one helped me.  I'm sorry things didn't work out the way I would have liked them to, but it was the hand I was delt.  Now I can't release my code because its propriatary and specific to do one thing well vs general use. 

Sorry I'm sounding like a jerk, I've just had this stance for a while in this thread and every time it goes back to "Use LINX, sorry I released the code like crap"

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 56
(3,220 Views)

ok do not worry I understand your feeling. but unlike people that transcend this world are those that can not get carried away by 'circumstances. on LINX has no support for ethernet shield. anyway thank you very much for the little input and try to achieve communication. luck

0 Kudos
Message 42 of 56
(3,220 Views)

Uke88 wrote:

Nathan_B is the creator of LIFA and he supports it.  Not me.  If he says use LINX, use LINX. 

I'm not the creator of LIFA or LINX.  I simply learned how to use it in-depth because of one of my projects.  The creator of LIFA and LINX is Sam Kristoff (aka SammyK).  He is active in the LINX forums.

I noticed that alsiddhartha posted in the LINX forums regarding this and has gotten a response from Sam is summarized as follows:  Ethernet works for chipkit but is not yet developed for Arduino.  Ethernet support for Arduino is planned for a future release of LINX.

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 56
(3,220 Views)

Nathan_B,

My bad, had a brain fart.  I know I've seen you and Sammy_K posting a lot on the forums, I confused you two. 

alsiddhartha,

If I had time, I would love to release my code to Sammy so he could impliment it.  That being said, you can spend your time learning how to convert it to ethernet and I can give you tips along the way, but I can't release my current code and don't have time to create a generic form.

0 Kudos
Message 44 of 56
(3,220 Views)

ok thank you. i'll to do. i try to do the communication with ethernet shield for arduino. I try to do the communication and if I accomplish you do not doubt that i will share us. thanks to all... thanks to all

0 Kudos
Message 45 of 56
(3,220 Views)

You'll have to modify the Send/Recieve VI (and sub VI's), the Intialization VI (and sub VI's), and the way the Arduino communicates to LabVIEW- Look up the Ethernet library.  If memory serves, you'll need to modify two of the arduino files that came with the download of LIFA, the main code will need to have the Ethernet info and the LabVIEWInterface.ino will need to be changed a bit to send via Ethernet instead of Serial. 

Tip, when modifing the VI's, add a case that is unique for the Arduino Bundle being passed through the program (includes VISA, board type, and communication type).  By this, I mean I deleted the communication type "Serial" from the type deff.  I can no longer do Serial communication via LIFA.  Instead, just add an element called "Ethernet".  Likewise, I'd suggest creating board type "Ethernet".  It is true that Arduino Uno's and Ethenets are the same, but the key difference is in the valid pin checker which is in the send/recieve I believe.  I would limit the digital pins to 2-9 - I think 10-13 are used for Ethernet communications.

If you need a brief explination of a type deff, I can give you the explination of how I think of them.

Hope that helps as a jumping point.

0 Kudos
Message 46 of 56
(3,220 Views)

I would probably try to work with the code in LINX that works with ChipKit and port it over to the Arduino instead of trying to work with the deprecated LIFA.  This would allow you to switch more easily to the official LINX when Sammy gets his version of ethernet working for the Arduino.

It's entirely up to you though.  Good Luck.

0 Kudos
Message 47 of 56
(3,220 Views)

sorry but it was out, I saw messages uke88 and nathan_b, thanks for the help will try and notice them.

0 Kudos
Message 48 of 56
(3,220 Views)

thanks for everything. but as I am new to both labview and arduino, and is complicated for me and I do the settings like you said. I was looking for a solution with an ethernet communication by distance and with software like labview HMI or SCADA as. I solved with a MODBUS communication because it was easier for me. I've succeeded in making for MODBUS TCP communication with labview. I think I'll open another topic if anyone wants the solution.

0 Kudos
Message 49 of 56
(3,220 Views)

Hi my friend

I downloaded the file, but didn´t work... the block int is in error.

Do you have some file for me help?

0 Kudos
Message 50 of 56
(3,220 Views)