LabVIEW Embedded

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview ARM and Beaglebone

Hi!

I want to buy something like this: http://beagleboard.org/static/BONESRM_latest.pdf . Will I be able to program this microcontroller using LabView ARM module? Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 10
(10,362 Views)

I'd say it would be possible, but it would be difficult. But if someone ever did i, it would be a kick-ass board with its ARM Cortex A8 processor (about 20 times more powerful than the current NI Tier 1 boards!). It would be a great solution to overcome the inefficient with LabVIEW programming.

I put a request in, via these forums, for NI to include a more recent and more powerful Tier 1 board, so we'll see how that goes.

Maybe a community cooperative effort would be the way to go.

Message 2 of 10
(10,345 Views)

I am eagerly awaiting to see some sort of support to this community .

It will be a wonderful platform .

Sundar.

Message 3 of 10
(10,245 Views)

Dear All,

you can post this idea on www.ni.com/ideas and rate it. R&D will develop them in future version of LabVIEW.

Kind regards,

Ion R.

Message 4 of 10
(10,230 Views)

LabVIEW for ARM works with Keil uVision.

uVision supports ARM7, Cortex-M and Cortex-R, but not Cortex-A

Keil has a developer tool called DS5 which is supporting Cortex-A.

You can program the Beagleboard with eclipse.

LabVIEW microprocessor SDK (not LV for ARM) has support for eclipse.

so maybe with some changes you can get eclipse work with LabVIEW (for ARM) and the beagleboard!

Wouter.
"LabVIEW for ARM guru and bug destroyer"
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(10,209 Views)

Thanks for your answer. Can you tell me where can i get LabVIEW microprocessor SDK (at least a trial)? Because i`m trying to find this and i just can`t 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(10,204 Views)

LV microprocessor SDK is "dead".

don't know where you can get this.

Ask NI.

Wouter.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(10,202 Views)

Also, I looked at the DS-5 IDE.

KEIL says that there's no support of RTX in DS-5 (required by LV for ARM)

Wouter.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(10,180 Views)

The only processor familes supported by the RTX RTOScan be found here.  In short they are the Cortex-M0, M1, M3, M4, Cortex-R4, ARM7 and ARM9.  While not as fast as the Beaglebone (that uses an "Applications" proessor), the families listed above are targetted at determinism.   While NI could indeed target the application series processor (A8, A9 etc) by removing their dependence on the RTX-OS, that would be a bit much to ask for right now considering they haven't even shown an interest in releasing new Tier 1 boards for the above processors.

NI's decision not to release additional Tier 1 boards makes LabVIEW Embedded for ARM continually less and less relevant.  I am evalulating the product now and aside from its woeful performance with parallel loops (thus negating the efficient multitasking capabilities of the RTX RTOS in the first place) , NI's refusal to release more Tier 1 boards mean it isn't a path I want to invest my time and my company's money in.

For example it wouldn't be much work at all for NI to convert the following Cortex-R4 dev board (currently available from Keil) to a Tier 1 product).

http://www.keil.com/mcbtms570/
http://www.keil.com/arm/boards/cortexr.asp

Peter
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(10,165 Views)