From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Embedded

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have Sbrio Ni-9642 I want to use serial to USB interface with the serial of the target sbrio to use USB flash for storing data on it from host target could u help me if u have example for this purpose

I have Sbrio Ni-9642 i want to use the serial interface 9 pin on the board  to connect serial to USB interface with the serial port of sbrio to use USB flash for storing data on it from host target could u help me if u have example for this purpose or advice.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,828 Views)

To accomplish this you would need to write your own driver to control the serial port in order to write to a USB Flash Drive. We do not recommend this and the use of the serial port in this manner is not supported. The Serial to USB converters are meant for use with computers that have no serial port and the user requires Serial port communication for debugging or transferring files. There is a driver on the desktop when the USB converter is plugged in which allows the computer to treat it as it would a serial device. NI does provide access to send serial messages but there is no way to use that communication to talk to a USB Device. 

Alex D
Systems Engineer
Academic Research
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,818 Views)

thank u for ur advice but what is the proper way to save my data on the target especially if it is huge data.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,809 Views)

Take a look at the suggestions on this forum post: http://forums.ni.com/t5/Real-Time-Measurement-and/store-data-into-external-storage-with-sbRIO-9602/t.... The solution offered there would be effective. Usually if large amounts of data are to be collected the RIO system is connected to a network and the data is transferred away from the RIO so that the onboard memory is not as critical for data storage. I would recommend this method as it allows the most flexibility and size of storage compared to other options. 

Alex D
Systems Engineer
Academic Research
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,798 Views)