From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Embedded

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSP Module

Hi all,

I am working in a University, with LabVIEW DSP Module with DSK6711.   For some accademic research we are doing, we need to use multiple Analogue Inputs (using a 6711DSK Daughter Card), and we also need a higher sampling frequency than the DSP Module seems to allow for the 6711DSK (we need 32 kHz or more).  I am wondering if we can modify/extend the DSP module to do this and what is the best approach.

Question 1:  Can I make the above changes just with the DSP module? Where should I start?

Question 2:  I've read about the "Embedded Development Module" - is this a better option for what we want to do?

I have inherited 2 PCs with installations as follows:
"LabVIEW 7.1.1 Embedded Edition"  with DSP 1.0
Labview 8.2.1 with DSP 2.0

Question 3:  I am a bit confused about the capabilities of "LabVIEW 7.1.1 Embedded Edition" and "Embedded Development Module".    With the installation I have inherited, I have  "Embedded Project Manager" under Tools, but when I click on it, I see the "build" and "run" icons briefly and then they disappear - does this suggest I don't have "Embedded Development Module" installed? (The only target I can select on launching LabVIEW Embedded are DSK6711, DSK6713, Speedy33, and LabVIEW for Windows).

Question 4:  Is there any literature on how the lower level of the DSP module works -I was assuming it was built with "Embedded Development Module", but  I notice in a previous post from Michael P says "The LabVIEW DSP module does not make use of the LabVIEW C Code Generator, so the Elemental I/O implementation does not translate to the LabVIEW Embedded Development Module".

Thanks in advance,
Kevin_M.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(8,724 Views)
Hi Kevin,

@Kevin_M wrote:
Hi all,

I am working in a University, with LabVIEW DSP Module with DSK6711.   For some accademic research we are doing, we need to use multiple Analogue Inputs (using a 6711DSK Daughter Card), and we also need a higher sampling frequency than the DSP Module seems to allow for the 6711DSK (we need 32 kHz or more).  I am wondering if we can modify/extend the DSP module to do this and what is the best approach.

Question 1:  Can I make the above changes just with the DSP module? Where should I start?
 The development boards available for use with the LabVIEW DSP module are SPEEDY-33, DSK6416, DSK6711, and DSK6713. If none of these boards has an ADC that satisfies your specifications, then you would need to use a custom board. The SPEEDY-33 supports sample rates up to 48kHz.
Question 2:  I've read about the "Embedded Development Module" - is this a better option for what we want to do?
If your application will require the hardware to have features not available on one of the boards listed above, then the LabVIEW Embedded Development Module can enable you to use LabVIEW on the hardware of your choice. There is a sample implementation of a TI target in the Embedded Development Module. However, creating a new target in the LabVIEW Embedded Development Module requires embedded expertise that is not needed for LabVIEW DSP Module.
I have inherited 2 PCs with installations as follows:
"LabVIEW 7.1.1 Embedded Edition"  with DSP 1.0
Labview 8.2.1 with DSP 2.0

Question 3:  I am a bit confused about the capabilities of "LabVIEW 7.1.1 Embedded Edition" and "Embedded Development Module".    With the installation I have inherited, I have  "Embedded Project Manager" under Tools, but when I click on it, I see the "build" and "run" icons briefly and then they disappear - does this suggest I don't have "Embedded Development Module" installed? (The only target I can select on launching LabVIEW Embedded are DSK6711, DSK6713, Speedy33, and LabVIEW for Windows).
The first version of the LabVIEW DSP Module installed as a module into LabVIEW 7.1 Embedded Edition. This special version of LabVIEW was built for use with embedded and DSP targets. Three modules can add targets to this version of LabVIEW: LabVIEW Embedded Module for Blackfin Processors, LabVIEW Embedded Development Module, and LabVIEW DSP Module. You most likely do not have the LabVIEW Embedded Development Module installed/activated. If you see targets you listed, you have the LabVIEW DSP Module.

Question 4:  Is there any literature on how the lower level of the DSP module works -I was assuming it was built with "Embedded Development Module", but  I notice in a previous post from Michael P says "The LabVIEW DSP module does not make use of the LabVIEW C Code Generator, so the Elemental I/O implementation does not translate to the LabVIEW Embedded Development Module".

Unlike the LabVIEW Embedded Module for Blackfin Processors, the DSP Module was not built using the LabVIEW Embedded Development Module. The LabVIEW DSP Module is based on Hyperception RIDE technology. The LabVIEW DSP Module has no parallelism, a small palette set, and runs very fast. Support for LabVIEW DSP is limited to those four boards. LabVIEW Embedded has a large palette set, has parallelism, and can be ported to run on any 32-bit microprocessor.
Thanks in advance,
Kevin_M.

--
Michael P
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(8,718 Views)

Thanks  Michael P. for your assistance.

A Colleague has pointed me to ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/labview/labview_dsp/Importing C Code.zip, and I'm looking into using this RIDE code import utility.

Kevin M.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(8,705 Views)
hello, I've installed labview 8.2 but  I can not see DSP kit in the Targets drop down menu at the startup. How can I get that?
And what is the actual purpose of this module? does it convert the block diagram to C- code? plz reply soon
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(8,290 Views)
Hi 0333,

You will need to purchase the LabVIEW DSP module in order to use it and have a target.
It does not convert Block diagram code into C code.

If you want to do that, you can take a look at this:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/201953
Van L
NI Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(8,282 Views)
I begin to study the labview DSP2.0 module. I review the Ni.com web all tutorial.I have the TI6416 ,in the handbook claim support this chip.I have one simply question how to connect with the DSP MODULE and the DSK.need install CCS ? who can give me detail tutorial to step by step can to used it?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(8,206 Views)

Hi Stoneboy,

Although we do not have step by step instructions for the TI 6416 DSK, the instructions for the TI 6711 DSK here: http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371560c.pdf should be very similar to the instructions for the TI 6416 DSK and you should be able to readily use these instructions to interface the LabVIEW DSP module with the TI 6416 DSK.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(8,190 Views)