From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Electrical Power Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA Resampling -- Output timestamp is saturated

I've been debugging an power analyzing station and I discovered the FPGA Resampling vi is returning a resampled element with a (practically speaking) saturated timestamp.  I'm giving it the number of seconds since Jan 1, 1970 as a FXP <+, 64, 32> number (roughly 1,504,198,487) and the Resampled Element cluster always contains a return timestamp of roughly 4,294,967,295.9991xxx.

I feel like I'm missing something simple, but I have no idea what it might be.  Has anyone ever encountered this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,776 Views)

I can't explain the problem but I can explain what I'm doing but it sounds similar.

I take the ns counter from the FPGA timekeeper - convert to seconds to the same representation (unsigned 64,32 FXP) including the UTC correction.

This hasn't given me any timestamp issues under 2015.

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,748 Views)

Hi James,

I've included a small project (including bitfile) that reproduces what I'm seeing.  Here's the FPGA block diagram:

FPGA Block Diagram.PNG

The green rectangles highlight locations where I can monitor the timestamp sent by the Timekeeper.  The red rectangle is where I get the saturated timestamp. 

My RT block diagram is extremely simple:

RT Block Diagram.PNG

The green rectangles show where I read the Timekeeper and convert it to a readable date and update the Timekeeper with RT time. 

This is what the RT front panel look like when I run it:

RT Front Panel.PNG

The rectangles here correlate to the green and red rectangles on the two block diagrams.  As you can see, the timestamp returned by the Resample vi is very nearly saturated.

Can you please try the code on your system and see if you get the same behavior?  This is with LabVIEW 2015 sp1 and an sbRIO-9626 running LV Real-Time 15.0.1 from Feb 2016 (v15.5).  For testing, I'm downloading the FPGA code to the FPGA then running the RT code interactively.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,739 Views)

Hi Daklu,

All my systems are tied up in a long term test right now but that will finish in a couple of days and I can give it a go then.

Cheers,

James

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,723 Views)

James,

Have you had a chance to try out this code and see if you get saturated timestamps as well?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,651 Views)

Hey Daklu,

Managed to give it a go today. On a cRIO-9024 (9113 chassis) it is showing no problem. This is under 2015 SP1f7. 

Only thing I've done is added a new target to the project and dragged over the VIs. 

Not entirely sure what that means!

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,631 Views)