From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Development Best Practices Documents

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Design Patterns with Classes Presentation (NITS 2010)

I've had several requests for the presentation material I gave at seminars this fall (2010).  I'll update this document with additional details and better notes as soon as I can, but I wanted to make the demos and slides available for download in the meantime.

Look for updates soon, but feel free to leave any comments or feedback below.  For more information and documenation on the UI Plugin Framework, visit the document State Machine Using Classes

Elijah Kerry
NI Director, Software Community
Download All
Comments
wirebirdlabs
on

Eli - who wrote the UI framework?

Elijah_K
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

I wrote it in my free time.  It was conceived to be a demonstration of a plugin UI framework, but I decided to try experimenting with classes for the state machines, and then I got into using dynamic events to dispatch commands.  I'm going to spend some time improving the documentation over the holidays.  In the meantime, what do you think?

Elijah Kerry
Daklu
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Has the design changed much since you originally posted it on the other thread?

Elijah_K
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

There is one big difference: this release includes dynamically registered events to dispatch commands to plugins.  I've updated the code on the other page as well, but I have yet to post a full explanation.

Elijah Kerry
SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast
on

Very nice. But why do you have so many overlapping controls in the subvis? Were these created from scripting?

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
on

SteveChandler: You're probably looking at the VIs on a Mac or Win7 which have larger application fonts than XP, which is what was used to develop the VIs. This is an issue since the dawn of LabVIEW when operating systems have different font sizes.

Elijah_K
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Actually, a lot of the front panels of the subVIs are 'unrefined.'  As in, I generated them and then as they change I didn't move them around appropriately.  It's on my to-do list 🙂

Elijah Kerry
Contributors