LabVIEW Champions Reading Resource Center

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manga book of Databases

I've been banging on about there being no future for the text book as a medium (when compared to the blog) and this book has gone and proved me wrong.

Manga Book of Databases by Mana Takahashi

It takes sensible subject matter and presents it in a truly engaging, interesting and technically accurate way.

It's an introductory book but doesn't shy away from technical descriptions.

lrg.jpg

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):
DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

Message 1 of 8
(10,747 Views)

Initial impressions aside (Manga and Databases, really?) this looks quite interesting.

I'm amazed at how my boys are able to memorize so much stuff from reading the Dragon Ball Z books, way more than they can remember things they "learned" in school I think I'll give them a try.

I might also learn something.....

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(9,886 Views)

you'll never regret learning databases!

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(9,886 Views)

I have this book, just started reading it and early impressions are that it's a bizarre format but once you get into the idea you find it really works. I recommend this book also.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(9,886 Views)

So does it read back-to-front like a real manga?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(9,886 Views)

It's standard left to right format Mike

Steve

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(9,886 Views)

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(9,886 Views)

Having now read most of this book I wouldn't recommend it unless you know absolutely nothing about DBs. I'm not familiar enough with manga to know if this is common, but I thought there were some odd stylistic choices made (such as text which makes it unclear whether this is someone thinking or speaking and who it is or a story which seems fairly artificial and arbitrary). Maybe this is common to the genre and requires getting used to or maybe it's just that this isn't very good. I don't know.

On the DB front, the book has a relatively low SNR and information density and doesn't delve into DBs beyond a fairly basic level. It talks a bit about normalization and goes into SQL only at a relatively basic level, seemingly not going into how to make more complex queries (although I haven't finished reading it, I believe I'm past that part). Because I think the story feels artificial, it also felt like it's just wasting time rather than teaching me stuff. The story might be useful for keeping children engaged, but it didn't really work for me.

Oh, and how do those wings work? Does she have holes in the back of the dress? Are they magnetic?

(9,886 Views)