LabVIEW Champion: Dan Shangraw, P.E.

Morts Picture 2.jpg

Name: Dan Shangraw, P.E.

Home: East Lansing, MI

Programming Languages: LabVIEW

Certifications: CLA, CPI, P.E.,Certified Motion Professional

Used LabVIEW Since: LabVIEW 5.0

Biography:

I have a Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) from Western Michigan University.  I got started in LabVIEW when I was an intern working for a startup medical device company in Kalamazoo, MI.  We had a functional tester that tested our products, however it was built with electrical timers, and relays etc.  Every time we needed to make a change we had to adjust a pot or add another component.  My boss at the time was doing some research at WMU where I went to college.  The professor there was doing some work with LabVIEW.  My boss was impressed with LabVIEW and asked me to learn it.  I went to some free hands on introduction to LabVIEW and data acquisition seminars put on by NI and jumped in.  I then developed functional and cycle testers for our products using some PCI DAQ cards.  This was a huge leap in productivity, now all we had to do to make a change was change the software!  Unfortunately the company I was working for ran out of money and I got laid off.  After bouncing around for a few years in various engineering jobs, in 2002 I decided to start my own LabVIEW consulting company Automated Software Technology   I have been working for myself ever since.  I have had the good fortune of becoming an NI alliance member, a Certified LabVIEW Architect, a Certified Professional Instructor, a Licensed Professional Engineer and a LabVIEW Champion.  It has been an unbelievable ride.  I have worked on some incredible projects, met some amazing people, and learned so much.

User Groups:

I run the South East Michigan LabVIEW User Group

Websites:

My company Automated Software Technology

www.autosofttech.net

Linked in 

LAVA

NI Forums: ASTDan

Tools:

AST Unit Tester 

Presentations and Articles:

Personal:

I am married with 2 daughters.  I like to play guitar and sing, and ride around with my family on our boat.

Music Youtube channel

Dan Shangraw, P.E.