Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which string will write first?

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm using serial commands to control motors, and the sequence that the commands are written to the motor controller is important. 

In the general structure shown in the attached vi, will "String" will be written 1000 ms before "75"?

Or, will the "75" be written before the 1000 ms WAIT function counts down?  Is this structure a good way to control the order that serial commands are written to a device?

THANKS!!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,366 Views)

Data flow dictates the order.  "String" will be written about 1 second before "75".  But the next iteration will start almost immediately and then "String" will be written.  So it might look more like "String", 1s wait, "75","String" (will little to no gap between the "75" and the second "String").

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 6
(3,355 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dav2010

dav2010,

Your example shows how LabVIEW's dataflow paradigm works. Any node - which can be a primitive element like Add or something more complex like the while loop - may begin to execute when data is present at all its inputs and its outputs will not be valid until it has completed execution.  Nodes which have no data dependency may execute in parallel.

Now, lets apply this principle to your code.  At the highest level the code has four nodes: VISA Resource Name control terminal, VISA Open, the While loop, and VISA Close. Because they have wires going from one to another, the data dependency forces them to execute in that order.  Within the while loop are three independent code blocks in parallel. The Wait (ms) and the constant = 50. The case structure and the VISA Write following plus the constant 1000 and the True constant. The Stop switch terminal and the loop termination terminal.

When the while loop begins executing, any of these three blocks may execute first.  If your computer has the necessary resources they may all execute in parallel. Most likely the Stop switch value will be read very early in the iteration but if it is True, the loop will not stop until everything else inside the loop has completed execution. The Wait will also probably start almost immediately. Since there is a 1000 ms Wait inside the case structure, the 50 ms Wait will complete long before the case structure. When the case structure starts executing, the True constant will be evaluated and the True case selected. VISA Write will send "String". The 1000 ms Wait and the 50+25 Add followed by string conversion will execute in parallel. When both are complete, the case structure execution ends and the second VISA Write will send "75". If the Stop button was False at the beginning of the loop iteration when the terminal was read, the loop will begin another iteration. After the loop stops, the VISA Close will execute.

So the short answer to your first question is: Yes.

As to the question about the choice of architecture, this has some severe limitations. As pointed out in my wordy description above, you will almost always get one extra iteration (and the one second wait) between the time that the Stop button is pressed and the time the VI stops.  In the worst case it could be just microseconds less than two seconds from the time Stop is pressed until the VI Stops and "string" and "75" would be written twice more.  If you ever need to change anything about what is sent or the timing, you need to change the program.

A better choice of architecture might be to use a Producer/Consumer (Events) Design Pattern and implement the consumer loop as a simple state machine.  This will give you a more robust structure, one that is easily adaptable to future requirements changes and one that is very responsive to user inputs.

Lynn

Message 3 of 6
(3,354 Views)

Thanks for your "wordy descrption"  The more words you write, the more I learn, so, thank you for being thorough.  Your note is very helpful for me!

Just a follow-up question, if you don't mind...

If the values of the WAIT functions were reversed, i.e. the case structure WAIT is set to 50ms and the WHILE loop is 1000, would the order still proceed as you describe below?  I am guessing "YES".  Am I correct?

You people who answer these forum questions sure are SMART!

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,342 Views)

dav2010 wrote:

If the values of the WAIT functions were reversed, i.e. the case structure WAIT is set to 50ms and the WHILE loop is 1000, would the order still proceed as you describe below?  I am guessing "YES".  Am I correct?

Again, data flow determines the order that things will procede.  The case structure must complete before the second VISA Write can perform its operation.  So the answer is yes.

dav2010 wrote:

You people who answer these forum questions sure are SMART!

Yes we are! Smiley Tongue

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 6
(3,338 Views)

Terrific!  Now, I can go back to the hard work of all the other things this vi needs to do!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,336 Views)