Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

waters 2410 refractive detector data collecting using Labview

We use the waters 2410 differential refractive detector for stand along instrument. we just need to measure methanol concentation. The connectors show below. I am not sure if I could collect data using Labview. I check their manul. They do not have any control command. If we could, what kind of AD interface we need

Thank u so much waters 2410.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,663 Views)

Most instruments with a IEE488 interface (also called gpib) can be controlled via that interface.

The only thing you also need is a driver or a manual to build a driver

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,661 Views)

Hi

Can I do it using NI6008 DAQ device to do it? I know IEEE488 is outdated..

I am not good at for labview. I f I want to write a driver. what kind of stuff I need to know. I check waters 2410 menu. They do not provide any command code. I am not sure if  I can do or not.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,653 Views)

The IEEE-488 interface is anything but outdated. You've already been told what you need to learn how to interface to it. Did you try to google 'waters 2410'?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,650 Views)

Sorry

If I use IEEE to interface with PC. Do I need to purchase other accessory like some card or AD device? I try to google it, but no any driver or code. Another question is : I do not know any command like receive data code. Can I still collect data using IEEE? I knew waters company has its own software

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,646 Views)

Of course you need a GPIB controller on your pc. I  have no idea of the purpose of the other connections on the back. Ask the vendor what you should be connecting to them.

You've been told already that you need the manual. Without knowing the commands, you can't read or write to it. Perhaps you can use NI-Spy if you have the other software. Why don't you ask the vendor for a programming manual?

Since you seem totally unfamiliar with the basics, these tutorials may help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,644 Views)

Hi MYLONG,

Albert and Dennis are both correct in that you can use the IEEE-488 interface to communicate information to your PC.  You will need a GPIB card in your computer, or an adapter cable such as GPIB-USB.

Additionally, you will need to either create or install an already-made instrument driver, specific to your Waters 2410, on your computer.  I have checked our third-party instrument driver network and unfortunately, Waters has not posted a driver compatible with your device up there.  One thing you may want to try is contacting Waters/TA Instruments to see if they have created a driver specific to this device that will allow it to interface adequately with LabVIEW.

Regards,

Stephanie R.

National Instruments

Stephanie R.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,589 Views)

Thank u so much

If I do not want to use IEEE. I also can use the screw terminal to connect the AD device(like NI6008),right? One technician told me if I want to acquire by this way.(just collect data , not control )

""just use the screw terminals --- the recorder +/-_Gnd  with +/-2 volts signal output.  Connect the NI6008  as a differential input A/D mode and you are done.""

I am not sure if it is ok or not. But you told me I need some special driver.  This driver is required??

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,576 Views)

If you only want to record the data that is on the anlog outputs, you can indeed do that with a NI 6008 but with limited accuracy and probably with some extra noise from the analog circuit itself. But it can be done with just LAbVIEW and the DAQMX driver that is distributed with LabVIEW.

The best you can do is to look at the examples that ship with LabVIEW for analog input and then decide if it is good enough

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,571 Views)

good suggestion

Thank u so much

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,553 Views)